• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quantitative Interview questions and answers

A question posed previously was:

A man speaks the truth 3 out of 4 times. He throws a die and reports it to be a 6. What is the probability of it being a 6?
Here's my solution:
This is just a conditional probability problem. We are expected to compute P[really 6 | said 6]. Using Bayes's rule, this is just P[said 6 | really 6] / { P[said 6 | really 6] * P[really 6] + P[said 6 | not really 6] * P[not really 6] }. We know each of the probabilities here, so just substitute to get:
3/4 * 1/6 / (3/4 * 1/6 + 1/4 * 5/6) = 1/8 / (1/8 + 5/24) = 3/8

P[said 6 | really 6] / { P[said 6 | really 6] * P[really 6] + P[said 6 | not really 6] * P[not really 6] }.
The first term should be P[said 6, really 6], typo?

P[said 6 | not really 6] * P[not really 6]
This is not 1/4 * 5/6
should be (1/4 * 1/5) * 5/6 since the man has 5 choices not counting the real outcome. :)

The first term should be P[said 6, really 6], typo?

This is not 1/4 * 5/6
should be (1/4 * 1/5) * 5/6 since the man has 5 choices not counting the real outcome. :)

Oops, yes, typo in the numerator, but I think that I typed the substitution in correctly... this should be P[said 6 | really 6] * P[really 6] and not just P[said 6 | really 6].

I'm not sure if I follow your reasoning for the latter component. Could you explain this a bit more? Looking at P[said 6 | not really 6] * P[not really 6], I interpret P[said 6 | not really 6] as "the man lies," which yields a probability of 3/4. I think that we agree that P[not really 6] is 5/6 though.

Sorry, I still don't understand :( Just to clarify, we're trying to compute P[said 6 | dice roll is not 6], right? Shouldn't this just be 1/4? One way to interpret this is to just say that the guy lies, and as such, the probability must be 1/4. Another way is to do enumeration. So...

P[said 6 | not really 6] =
P[said 6, not really 6] / P[not really 6] =
1 / P[not really 6] * { P[said 6, really 1] + P[said 6, really 2] + ... + P[said 6, really 5] } =
1 / P[not really 6] * { P[said 6|really 1] * P[really 1] + P[said 6|really 2] * P[really 2] + ... + P[said 6|really 5] * P[really 5] } =
1 / (5/6) * (1/4 * 1/6 * 5) = 6/5 * 1/4 * 1/6 * 5 = 1/4.

P[said 6|really 1] * P[really 1]
Following your logic this is 1/4 * 1/6, right?
What I meant is that it should be 1/4 * 1/5 * 1/6 since when the real outcome is 1 he can lie to you by telling it's any number from 2-6.

To clarify, I'm denoting "said 6" to be the event that the main claims that the number which appears is 6. I'm denoting "really 1" to be the event that the number that appears on the die is really in fact 1 (irrespective of what the man says). If that's the case, then I think that P[said 6 | really 1] is 1/4, since this amounts to the man telling a lie. For P[really 1], this is just 1/6 by simple probability. I'm still not sure where the 1/5 comes in.

There are five ways to tell a lie, but I don't think that this fact manifests itself in the problem.

No, the answer to this is \(x=\sqrt{2}\)

\(a=x^{x^{\ldots}}=2\)

\(ln(x^{x^{\ldots}}) = ln2\)

\(x^{x^{\ldots}}lnx = ln2\)

\(a lnx = ln2\)

\(2lnx = ln2\)

\(lnx = \frac{1}{2}ln2\)

\(lnx = ln\sqrt{2}\)

\(x = \sqrt{2}\)

There is alot easier way of doing this.

x^x^x^...=2

x^2=2
x=sqrt{2}

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that everybody is posting a question.

So this is from me for geometry lovers. :)
geometry.png

I see a way to do this problem with trig, but is there a pure geometric solution to doing this?

Got 30 using trig, stuck on the geometric solution...

Back