• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quantitative Section of GRE

Hey guy,

I was reading the evaluate my chance thread, and for a while you guys were discussing the method for grading the quantitative section of GRE (until Andy shut it down).

So I just want to bring this back up again since I am going to be taking the GRE soon.

I am really scared not because I don't know the material. It is just that, I have been consistently making 1-3 stupid errors when I was doing the practice tests, especially since I am not allowed to go back and check my answers.

My question is that: is it really true that you can get an 800 even if you miss a few questions, as long as you do well in the first 10-20? I thought the case is, if you miss one, you're out. Or is that only for the paper test?

Thanks!

You can find all the info on this forum:

GRE - TestMagic Forums

I got the impression that you have to get right all questions of level 3 and level 4 but you can miss a few of level 5. I saw a student who missed 5 questions of level 5 (most difficult) and still got 800. ETS is constantly evolving the test and "getting right the first 10 questions" does not work that way anymore, so you should pace yourself evenly throughout the test. You do have to get right the first couple of questions - those will be of medium level.

EDIT: I'll add something. The first question will always be of level 3 - you absolutely must to get it right. Your second question can be of level 4 - you also must get it right, or it can be of level 5 - you can miss few of those. So, after the first question they will be feeding you with questions of level 4 and level 5 depending if you win or lose the previous one. I am sure there is more into their scoring algorithm but approximately this is how it works nowadays.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response const. This helps a lot!

I have one more question. For those of you who have experienced both computerized tests and the paper tests, which one do you recommend?

Thanks!

Trying to decipher how the computerized test is graded is an exercise in futility. You can probably make better use of your time by practising the questions. If you have any kind of quantitative education experience, it should be cake walk to get 780-800. 7% of all test takers getting 800 should tell you how easy the test is, considering that there are a large amount of humanities/arts people taking it too. I mean a typical quant interview question is probably 10 times tougher than the toughest question on GRE.
Good luck.

Trying to decipher how the computerized test is graded is an exercise in futility. You can probably make better use of your time by practising the questions.

That's very true. The bottom line is to practice adequately, pace yourself evenly on the test, you can miss few questions and still get 800.

I've taken CBT so I do not know about paper test except that it's being phased out.

Back