• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

QuantNet Best-selling Quant Books of 2014

QuantNet has been compiling the annual list of best-selling quant books our members purchase every year since 2010 (see the best-selling book lists of 2010, 2011,2012, 2013. The following list is 20 best-selling quant books of 2014 (both hard-copy and ebooks), compiled from aggregate, anonymously collected data, provided by Amazon with QuantNet tags.

books.jpg
  1. A Primer For The Mathematics Of Financial Engineering, Second Edition - Dan Stefanica
  2. 150 Most Frequently Asked Questions on Quant Interviews - Dan Stefanica, Rados Radoicic, Tai-Ho Wang
  3. Fifty Challenging Problems in Probability with Solutions - Frederick Mosteller
  4. Solutions Manual - A Primer For The Mathematics Of Financial Engineering, Second Edition - Dan Stefanica
  5. The Complete Guide to Capital Markets for Quantitative Professionals - Alex Kuznetsov
  6. A Practical Guide To Quantitative Finance Interviews - Xinfeng Zhou
  7. Quant Job Interview Questions and Answers (Second edition) - Mark Joshi
  8. Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street - Michael Lewis
  9. When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management - Roger Lowenstein
  10. C++ Primer Plus (6th Edition) (Developer's Library) - Stephen Prata
  11. My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance - Emanuel Derman
  12. Heard on the Street: Quantitative Questions from Wall Street Job Interviews - Timothy Crack
  13. Frequently Asked Questions in Quantitative Finance - Paul Wilmott
  14. How I Became a Quant: Insights from 25 of Wall Street's Elite - Richard R. Lindsey, Barry Schachter
  15. Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions - Gayle Laakmann McDowell
  16. Stochastic Calculus for Finance I: The Binomial Asset Pricing Model - Steven Shreve
  17. Stochastic Calculus for Finance II: Continuous-Time Models (Springer Finance) - Steven Shreve
  18. A Linear Algebra Primer for Financial Engineering: Covariance Matrices, Eigenvectors, OLS, and more - Dan Stefanica
  19. Financial Options: From Theory to Practice - Stephen Figlewski, William Silber
  20. Matlab, Third Edition: A Practical Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving - Stormy Attaway

Click on any of the book on the list and see the unique tag assigned to QuantNet in the url.
So the statistics above reflect books which were bought by someone following a book link from the QuantNet site?

Hey all, thanks for the input on my earlier question about R books. I was hoping to get some recommendations for the following as well;

Recently, I have done a few interviews for trader internship positions with some prop trading firms like Jane Street, and Optiver. However, unfortunately I haven't been very successful in passing their problem solving questions. Its been my first time interviewing for this type of internship, so while I spent alot of time reviewing my market terminology and what not, the brainteaser- math olympiad type questions caught me off guard. I was wondering what books you all recommend to practice for these brainteasers in math/probability/general logic. I'm going to take a look at #3 on this list, but any more recommendations would be great. I'll be practicing throughout the year so I'll be more competitive next year (because I assume you cant become great at brainteasers in two weeks)

Thank you all, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey all, thanks for the input on my earlier question about R books. I was hoping to get some recommendations for the following as well;

Recently, I have done a few interviews for trader internship positions with some prop trading firms like Jane Street, and Optiver. However, unfortunately I haven't been very successful in passing their problem solving questions. Its been my first time interviewing for this type of internship, so while I spent alot of time reviewing my market terminology and what not, the brainteaser- math olympiad type questions caught me off guard. I was wondering what books you all recommend to practice for these brainteasers in math/probability/general logic. I'm going to take a look at #3 on this list, but any more recommendations would be great. I'll be practicing throughout the year so I'll be more competitive next year (because I assume you cant become great at brainteasers in two weeks)

Thank you all, any help is appreciated.
Kevin,

I realize you posted this in February but if you're still looking to practice the mathlete stuff for trading interviews, check out #12 Tim Crack's book. My first gig in finance was at one of these prop shops in Chi Town and I was asked at least 10-15 questions directly from this text. Another great problem solving book (though less relevant to finance/trading) is "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz--http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Craft-Problem-Solving/dp/0471135712

Back