• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

QuantNet Hiking

So, who is interested in hiking? I'm not talking anything terribly demanding... more like walking in the woods. I'm thinking of having a QuantNet Hiking Club. Maybe once a month we can go on a hike.

The first hike will be this Saturday. It's an easy five-mile trail in the Palisades. The trail starts at the foot of the GW bridge on the Jersey side. It is easily accessible by bus. The trail is flat and follows the river.

We will meet at 10 am and walk north to a picnic area about 2.5 miles away near the Englewood Cliffs. There we will eat our packed lunches then walk up a hill and back to our original location on the ridge. I've never done this hike, I'm just going by the map.

If people are interested, please let me know and I will answer any questions.

I know Saturdays are also lab days, so if you want you can talk about probability on the trail.

BTW, this is open to anyone. So if you're in the area, feel free to meet up!

I am interested in the "brunch" part of it. And to be honest, I already returned what I learnt from Mona to her :( Maybe Jing can help as PHD in Stat. :)

I'm in. What should I bring in terms of food/equipment etc?..

P.S. I think Billy knows probability much better than anyone of us ;)

Wear comfortable shoes. For food, a regular packed lunch is good... a sandwich, trail mix, dried fruit. Also, at least 1 liter of water.

A hat is good to have to avoid sunburn. Also sunscreen and bug spray could be useful. I'll have some of both.

Are Jake and Sarah going to hike with little sam too...:)
Last time I hiked was Bear Mountain, it took me 4 hours to get to one of the hill tops while everyone already there having their lunch....about 20 mins rest, we got back----hence I hated the idea of hiking:what's the point of climbing so long/hard just to sit on the top of the rock for 20 mins....

what's the point of climbing so long/hard just to sit on the top of the rock for 20 mins....

Fresh air, exercise, talking to people... and food tastes much much better after climbing a mountain. At least for me :)

I'm very interested in hiking and trekking, but actually and currently only in Europe. So the brunch part. :thumbsup:

If you decide to hike around where I live, I could join.

Thanks Alain. I'll join your invitation.

Are Jake and Sarah going to hike with little sam too...:)
Last time I hiked was Bear Mountain, it took me 4 hours to get to one of the hill tops while everyone already there having their lunch....about 20 mins rest, we got back----hence I hated the idea of hiking:what's the point of climbing so long/hard just to sit on the top of the rock for 20 mins....

Maggie, I will find a baby for you to play with while we hike!

Alain, this hike can't be too far from you. We start at the GW.

Bastian, perhaps you can do a volksmarche in Saar-Hunsruck this Saturday in solidarity.

I hiked the Scottish West-Highland-Way last week. But I'll walk the Saar-Hunsrück or the Lieserpfad this Saturday in solidarity.

Alain, this hike can't be too far from you. We start at the GW.

I lived around 30 miles from the GW... it is not that close ;)

However, there are plenty of trails and hills to hike around where I live.

I bet it will take me longer to get to the Jersey side of the GW from Brooklyn than you.

I have all the NY/NJ Trail Conference maps and intend to work through a bunch of the trails. I'll see which are out by you.

Back