• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

QuantNet Swags

Don't mean to digress on this thread.

Briefly, I worked on IBM zO/S COBOL, CICS GUI screens and IMS/DB for a bank out of college (2008). Maintaining or enhancing legacy code wasn't the easiest - COBOL is verbose. I don't think there were any numerical libraries.

As a fun trivia fact, I know that, the flight guidance software for the Apollo 11 moon mission was written in IBM assembly. But, much of the numerical linear algebra routines, I have read, were originally written in FORTRAN. I'm guessing, IBM just failed to adapt.

I am an 80s kid, so maybe @Daniel Duffy and @Dimitri Vulis, you'll would know more about it.
Fortran is the best language for numerics. Many Python libraries use it.
IBM adapted quite well. But I digress.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”
Mark Twain

I never worked in cobol, but I taught a cobol class in the 1990s, to college kids who wanted to work on y2k remediation. I don't think normal pdf is intrinsic in cobol. Neither is any error function that could help calculate it it.

Brady bonds had partial U..S. government guarantees, so the option pricer was relatively complicated.
Once I saw a sealed silver box around 1992 containing COBOL source code for a swap system. It cost 1 million dollars. Very impressive.

Hollerith punched cards, you just triggered my PTSD, Hollerith punch cards, the Friday the 13th of coding.

The (legendary and awesome) GS banker bag is from
Ha! The douchebag bag! Afraid to say I got one, as well as a couple of 'gonia vests - which, btw have been slowly replaced by Arc'teryx vests as an official component of the "Midtown uniform" (given what was previously mentioned on Patagonia not co-branding their products to financial firms).

Personally, I'd like a QN t-shirt or hoodie so I can wear it to university :)

PS: A water bottle would be nice too! (I don't really use stationary that much, like pens etc, since I just use my ipad and interactive pen)

Back