• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quants' Perception of Southern Methodist University?

What do you guys think of Southern Methodist University?
Obviously, it is no Berkeley or Carnegie-Melon, but how reputable (in your opinion) is it?

I'm a junior in high school now, living in north Dallas.
Going to SMU for my bachelor's would be personally beneficial for financial reasons.

After getting my bachelor's, I may pursue an MBA, MFE, or something similar; I'm not sure, but I still have a few years ;)

Thanks ahead of time.

Being from Dallas, I feel I must answer this one.

From my experience SMU has a pretty good reputation nationwide because their MBA and law programs are both fairly decent (USNews: MBA 47, Law 49).

It also really depends on what you want to study. Looking at their website, they have some nice math, cs, engineering programs but SMU isn't really known for these. It's generally more seen as a liberal arts school I believe.

Best advice is to do really well in school, score high on SAT/ACT, and get good letters of rec.

If you want to stay in Texas, UT Austin is overall the best university by ranking and rep.

If finances are an issue, look into UT Dallas; they give out many 4-year "full ride" scholarships.

What are you interested in studying?

If you want to stay in Texas, UT Austin is overall the best university by ranking and rep
As a Rice alum, I must beg to differ on this one.

Yeah, Rice University is a really good school. They just started their PhD Finance program too and have gotten an overwhelming response. Rice MBA is really strong too and places very well within the energy trading firms in Houston.

UT Texas Business school is one of the best in the world too though. They got some big people there. I know they got a super famous guy in Corporate Finance - Dr. Titman.

Being from Dallas, I feel I must answer this one.

From my experience SMU has a pretty good reputation nationwide because their MBA and law programs are both fairly decent (USNews: MBA 47, Law 49).

It also really depends on what you want to study. Looking at their website, they have some nice math, cs, engineering programs but SMU isn't really known for these. It's generally more seen as a liberal arts school I believe.

Best advice is to do really well in school, score high on SAT/ACT, and get good letters of rec.

If you want to stay in Texas, UT Austin is overall the best university by ranking and rep.

If finances are an issue, look into UT Dallas; they give out many 4-year "full ride" scholarships.

What are you interested in studying?
My statistics teacher is getting her master's in math at UT Dallas and she has recommended going there for undergrad, it's definitely an option.

As for what I want to study, my top choices are math, economics, statistics, and physics.
There are a lot of different options I have to choose from (double major, double minor, triple major, triple minor, etc.).

What about you? What school will/did/are you go/going to? What will/did/are you study/studying?

I went to UT Dallas double majoring in finance and accounting and minoring in computer science (started out in engineering and wish I had stayed in it)

Now doing a masters in finance in the UK

If you have the stomach for it, a double major/double minor covering math, computer science, finance, and economics could come in handy

Humanities and sciences and gen/ed type classes at SMU are pretty easy, but the business school is extremely tough and thorough. Don't count on skipping more than 2 classes without getting dropped a letter grade. SMU is a great school but I wish I were not so close to home. And joining a frat is the best possible thing you can do in college if you find a group of guys you like.

Back