• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question about Forecasting with SV models and Return PDF

I am new to quant trading and unfamiliar with the financial jargon. However I have a physics background that allows me to understand the mathematical modelling of stock returns. I have found some physical models incorporated in the stochastic nature of returns like Stochastic Volatility models (difussion models), percolation theory, etc.

Let's say for instance that we have obtained the return prob. dist. func. which satisfies the Fokker-Planck eqn., and obtained a good fit for DJIA index (in this particular case). For this I have used Monte Carlo Simulations to find the parameters of the expOU Stochastic Vol. model, which shows a good fit to the data. I should be able to apply this model to an individual company stock time series, like Boeing, etc... may be it works for option pricing as well...this I can figure out by myself... Apparently this model is very robust...This I would like to know.

We can even simulate daily returns or monthly returns, etc...with the model to predict a return value within a certain error....All this is very nice...BUT, how can someone use this knowledge to design trading strategies?...For example...If I know the probability of negative daily or monthly return...then what?

Back