• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question about letters of recommendation

Hello everyone,
I've been away from this discussion board for a while. I like the new look and changes made to this board...great job!

OK, about my question...I have been out of school for over 8 years. It seems rather unrealistic for me to contact my former undergrad professors for letters of recommendation after such a long time. This is probably a common dilemma for working professionals who are looking to get into grad school.

My plan is to apply to Baruch's MFE program sometime in the undetermined future (likely 1~2 years from now). In the meantime, I will be preparing for the application process, which would include re-taking some pre-requisite math and comp sci courses. But if were to take a course in Spring 08 and have the professor write a letter of rec, will the admissions committee at Baruch accept that letter and keep in on file even though I haven't applied yet and won't be until maybe a year or more further down the line? Or is it more advisable for me to use a document storage service such as Interfolio to store my letters and other credentials until I actually apply and need to send them to Baruch?

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or recommendations. Thank you.

frankly, i don't think it matters much. although i do see one potential problem with your approach.
i don't know about everybody else, but i used electronic services to submit my lor's. i think my recommenders were sent a link to a page, where they typed in their recommendation.
this would be hard to do in advance. so i would talk to your prospective recommenders and tell them that you might be approaching them at some point about the letter of recommendation.

although again, i am not 100% sure that you have to apply electronically.

We would not keep that letter on file unless you also apply. You can always reactivate your application at a later time, without paying the application fee again.

Back