• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question about MFE Career

I ultimately plan on pursing a PhD in Physics, specializing in mathematical physics and particularly the use of partial differential equations. Should I then apply to a financial engineering program in order to obtain a position in quantitative finance ?

why don't u apply for a financial engineering straight away????

why don't u apply for a financial engineering straight away????
That's because I love physics and have a passion for it. I love financial engineering equally as well. Above all, i'd never even get accepted in to financial engineering program out of college. My courses and GPA aren't strong enough. I only have a 3.8 GPA, and have only taken a few "good courses" such as advanced probability, partial differential equations and partial differential equations of stochastic calculus. I have 2 more years of undergrad left and there is no way i'll reach that level to be accepted, but yeah i guess i'll try. I'm trying to take some more advanced courses to increase my chances, i'll probably just take Advanced probability 2 next semester and numerical solutions of partial differential equations.

Wow. You are making no sense. You want to do a PhD in Physics and then apply to an MFE program when you plan on getting a job in finance?

3.8 GPA is not good enough?

You have only taken PDE and PDE of SC?

Your profile says you're a College sophomore...

Are you trolling?

Are you trolling?
Lol, thanks for the laugh @goldski!

@Amber Roxanna,
I am not an expert in this by any means, but I think you are pretty closed to being qualified for a MFE. And that's probably an understatement.

Your profile says you're a College sophomore...
Are you trolling?
Internet rule #1: don't believe everything you read.
@Amber Roxanna may as well be a guy and not a sophomore. People have gone the distance to mask their identity.
As long as "her" questions are genuine, I have no problem with it. I just have zero tolerance for trolls who waste everyone's time and goodwill.

IP tracking is a powerful tool that I can use when needed.

Back