• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question about unusual issues

1. I have a suspension on my transcript for a strictly non-academic issue, involving an ex-girlfriend. My GPA/graduation honors were not in any way impacted and I completed my degree at the school. There is no legal issue or criminal record. My question is how I present this on any applications to MSF and MFE programs. How do I explain it and emphasize the non-academic nature of it?

2. I started at a top Wall Street firm but it ultimately didn't work out (very poorly) and for a short duration. Is there way to disclose this besides the resume?

1. I have a suspension on my transcript for a strictly non-academic issue, involving an ex-girlfriend. My GPA/graduation honors were not in any way impacted and I completed my degree at the school. There is no legal issue or criminal record. My question is how I present this on any applications to MSF and MFE programs. How do I explain it and emphasize the non-academic nature of it?

2. I started at a top Wall Street firm but it ultimately didn't work out (very poorly) and for a short duration. Is there way to disclose this besides the resume?

You reminds me of Nick Leeson ;)

Here is my two cents: don't try to justify them upfront, don't bring their attention to these two matters. If they ask, make reasonable explanation, otherwise, do not reveal your insecurity/vulnerability.

Good luck!

Most universities have an optional essay that can be used for just this. For example, CMU has essay D, Columbia has an "other information" essay, and so does MIT.

I suggest you use these to explain your case thoroughly. You can also explain these incidents to one of your recommenders and ask her to talk about these incidents in a positive light. Good luck!

Back