• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question with the GRE

I recently sat for the GRE and it didn’t go quite as planned. I wanted to study a bit and take it just to have a complete profile even though most/all the programs Im interested in don’t require it. At this point, I'm a bit unsure of if it’s worth it to try and retake in a couple weeks or just apply without it, for reference my profile is:

-Math/econ double major from large flagship uni in the south (i’m American)

-GPA: 4.0/4.0

-classes: Calc sequence through MV (A+, A+, A+), Lin Alg 1 (A+), differential equations 1 (A+), probability theory (A+), discrete maths/intro proofs (A+), Lin Alg 2 (proof based, A+), mathematical statistics (proof based, A+), litany of relevant econ and fin courses (such as metrics, time series forecasting, etc) all A+ or A

-work experience: 3.5 years in the fed system (both board and NY) in quantitative roles focusing on market related topics. Heavily involved data analysis and modeling in Python, R, and Matlab. unfortunately no C++ experiences but i have a strong working knowledge of OOP from work.

-rec letters: current and past supervisor + old metrics prof. all strong and can speak to coding ability.

I’m mostly interested in the top 10 or so programs. So my question is, how much would a 168+ gre really add to my profile? It seems it would not differentiate me from other applicants as most top applicants have good scores. Plus, as someone applying not directly out of UG, i would imagine ad coms may be more willing to overlook a missing GRE score given the rest of my profile?

Just wondering if i should try and cram in a retake or just submit my applications without it? would love any thoughts!

Instead of spending time getting a higher GRE Q which may not be an important factor to programs (they don't require it), you can try to fill up gaps in your profile. Taking the C++ course such as one on QuantNet for example.
You are an American so that goes a lot in your favor. You seem to have a good profile. Don't be afraid to apply to all the top programs.
Spend time to do a good essay and brush up on technical interview questions.
We have a list of books you should definitely read prior to the MFE and they will benefit you a great deal.

Instead of spending time getting a higher GRE Q which may not be an important factor to programs (they don't require it), you can try to fill up gaps in your profile. Taking the C++ course such as one on QuantNet for example.
You are an American so that goes a lot in your favor. You seem to have a good profile. Don't be afraid to apply to all the top programs.
Spend time to do a good essay and brush up on technical interview questions.
We have a list of books you should definitely read prior to the MFE and they will benefit you a great deal.
Thanks andy! i’m glad to hear this as it aligns a bit with my thinking. One more quick question (which you’ve sort of answered with the C++ course recommendation):

Should i bother applying to programs (such as cornell) which have a hard prerequisite of programming courses in undergrad? i learned my skills on the job and through independent work. Sure, i could “prove” this by taking a course, but i have seen a number of comments (one even from the courant adcom) that suggest these are less than perfect substitutes - plus, id be submitting applications soon anyways. Would ad coms be inclined to overlook the lack of formal classes if my recommenders can speak to my programming experience? again, super thankful for your thoughtful reply.

You don't need to prove programming experience by courses, if your work already has taught you. Taking a whole course just to prove it is totally superfluous. Thats not a good reason. C++ is generally useful and if you want to learn it, only then take it. And if you have time to take the GRE again AND programs which you really want accept it even optionally, then do take it. It just adds to the profile. Otherwise its better to skip it. And use the time for other stuff.

I don't think I'll be taking the GRE. It seems to be much less important than other things, and I just can't justify the time I'd spend on it over learning to code in python and learning further math/stat techniques, interview questions, or reading trading books.

Is the GRE important for MFE/Math Fin programmes? Just some context, I have done quant trading internships and some grants. Will these be a good enough alternative?
This was my question initially and i got an admit from chicago without the gre. My thoughts are that the GRE is nice to have, but not essential (especially if your math background is good). Plus, many programs are now doing their own quantitative assessments to filter applicants.

This was my question initially and i got an admit from chicago without the gre. My thoughts are that the GRE is nice to have, but not essential (especially if your math background is good). Plus, many programs are now doing their own quantitative assessments to filter applicants.

Last edited:
My thoughts are that the GRE general quant is testing skills that are rather orthogonal to the math skills you need to excel in an MFE program. of course, many applicants are really good at both the tricky timed standardized test questions and writing proofs. in my case, i tend to underperform on quant sections of standardized tests as i’m admittedly not great under a time pressure, ironically enough i tend to score much higher on the verbal portions…. perhaps i should consider an MFA rather than an MFE 😂

Thanks @ajjjw! Just curious, how does a school compare a students coursework? Eg. I did computing and had a module for computing calculus which covers multi variable calculus and ODE. Many level 2 modules are precluded as a result of this. So how will this be compared?
i can’t speak to any process that admissions committees use. but on a lot of applications there are supplemental portions wherein you describe what topics are covered in the math courses on your transcript. so you would have an opportunity to explain that that particular course covers multivariable and diffeq

Back