• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quizzes and final grade

Hey all.
Just wondering, I´ve already taken the level 1 quiz, and scored 90%. If i retake the test to reach for 100%, if i get a lower score how will this affect my grade?
Is the final grade taking into account my performance in these quizzes?
Thanks

I created the quizzies as a way to get people thinking in a slightly different way. An idea for the future is to have more of them as a 'sidewards' preparation for C++ coding.

Andy
How can a person get partial credit from each exersice?

I tought it would be 0 or 100. Cause a program may either work or may not work.

Could you please explain briefly.

Thank you.

Grading is not always binary. You will get 0 if the program does not compile. The score depends on several factors such as correctness, commenting, style, etc. There are always room for improvement in everyone's code which is why few HW have 100 score.

Andy
How can a person get partial credit from each exersice?

Could you please explain briefly.

Thank you.

Think of the human element

Do unto others as you would have them do to you

Code that is well-structured, understandable and correct can't be a bad thing.

Just because the code output is correct does not mean that the code is correct. Maybe you got lucky:)

Just because the code output is correct does not mean that the code is correct.

I am sorry I did not get it.
So you are saying that you can write a program that can print "Hello world" to the screen, But code may still be wrong?

What makes a code right or wrong?

:confused:

So you are saying that you can write a program that can print "Hello world" to the screen, But code may still be wrong?

Yes.
In real life, mor than hello world is going on, and all code paths should be tested.

In your code it's probably juss 1 line of code?

Hello world contains no logic, only IO.

As soon as you introduce logic into your code, it can very easily fool you into thinking it is correct. Maybe your logic doesn't cover every path. Maybe it produces the correct output for the obvious case but not for a less obvious case

It's a big topic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing Ex. maybe a program give an output of 225 Celsius to set the room temperature? The requirements were the range [16,25]! What is wrong in this case?

Hello world contains no logic, only IO. As soon as you introduce logic into your code, it can very easily fool you into thinking it is correct. Maybe your logic doesn't cover every path. Maybe it produces the correct output for the obvious case but not for a less obvious case

I understand now. Thank you.

Back