• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

R Packages for backtesting and running trading strategies

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what are the best packages in R to use in order to backtest trading strategies. If anyone has used or is aware of the packages or what is the best way to approach it if they do not exist, I would appreciate if could let me know. I have broken down the "needed" packages in a logical way below but if there is any other order would be great to hear. Please amend where you think appropriate.

1) Datadownload: rBlooberg,....?
2) Datahandling: TimeWarp, zoo, xts ....?
3) Strategy: Proprietary, ....?
4) Indicators: Quantmod, .....?
5) P&L Calculation: .......?
6) Analysis of returns: .......?
7) Riskmetrics: .......?

Thank you in advance

check quantstrat. Subscribe to R-SIG-Finance to get more information. Make sure you read the posting guidelines

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you use it independently or with other packages?

Others. FinancialInstrument, Blotter, TTR, quantmod, and xts. Just load them up on starting R with the require command. Not that tough =P

hahah! I am sure, I will manage:)

using Rstudio lately, and life has become so much easier using R!

definitely try out ESS. I would also recommend Rmetrics. They have excellent functions.

V

Back