• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Rank the following courses in matter of importance

I have the option of choosing the following modules. Which would you recommend with a reason?

Mathematical methods and fluid mechanics​

Complex analysis​

Applications of probability​

Graphs, networks and design​

Optimization​

Thanks.

I have the option of choosing the following modules. Which would you recommend with a reason?

Mathematical methods and fluid mechanics​

Complex analysis​

Applications of probability​

Graphs, networks and design​

Optimization​

Thanks.

It's hard to rank the courses in matters of importance because they are all important and have different applications. However, I would lean towards optimization as an essential and exciting course.

Reason: It's the mathematics of finding an optimal (best) solution from all feasible solutions. Optimization application ranges from mechanics, economics and finance, operation research, machine learning, etc. I find its application invaluable and relevant, especially for an aspiring quant.

Fact: I took an operation research class as an undergraduate and loved it.

It's hard to rank the courses in matters of importance because they are all important and have different applications. However, I would lean towards optimization as an essential and exciting course.

Reason: It's the mathematics of finding an optimal (best) solution from all feasible solutions. Optimization application ranges from mechanics, economics and finance, operation research, machine learning, etc. I find its application invaluable and relevant, especially for an aspiring quant.

Fact: I took an operation research class as an undergraduate and loved it.
That's what I was leaning towards but the others seem applicable too such as probability and graphs.

That's what I was leaning towards but the others seem applicable too such as probability and graphs.
Here's what I think you should do in this case: Compare the courses that interest you the most and make trade-offs. That way, you know the pros and cons of choosing or not choosing a particular course relative to the goal (concepts you want to grasp or master) you have that semester.

I wish you the best.

I took applications of probability, mathematical statistics and 2 less interesting ones. btw nice to see more people from OU

Back