• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Ranking Predictions

mez

Any thoughts on the ranking this year? It will be up in less than 24 hours, but any one has any predictions? I think both UCLA and NYU Math Fin are going to improve in ranking. We well see.

I would guess Columbia MSFE and MAFN will have a lower ranking because of increasing enrollment sizes and worse career services (even worse than most people described "bad") .

is MAFN that bad ? I was accepted last year and deferred to this year, over NYU math fin and Chicago msfm , wrong choice ?

Negative reviews from people I spoke with. Things they note are, profs don’t care, more aligned for PhD, mathematically heavy but not industry oriented, lack of career services. But then again you will be in NY and it’s Columbia. Placements you will essentially be on your own while competing with MSFE/OR/MFE folks. But then again, this is second hand information so take it with a grain of salt.

is MAFN that bad ? I was accepted last year and deferred to this year, over NYU math fin and Chicago msfm , wrong choice ?
I would have chosen NYU Math Fin but would love to know your reason for choosing Columbia over it

I'm European, so I just thought in case I can't stay in the US due to immigration, the brand-name of Columbia will be recognised, more than NYU, but still wondering if I didn't make the wrong decision

I'm European, so I just thought in case I can't stay in the US due to immigration, the brand-name of Columbia will be recognised, more than NYU, but still wondering if I didn't make the wrong decisio
Columbia might have a better name overall but the NYU Math department is legendary.
The director of the program,Petter Kolm,won Quant of the year by the Journal of Portfolio Management for 2021. The program has a renowned reputation in NYC and the US which would make it easier to land a lucrative job.
This is my opinion,would love to hear from current students and alumni of both programs.

Columbia might have a better name overall but the NYU Math department is legendary.
The director of the program,Petter Kolm,won Quant of the year by the Journal of Portfolio Management for 2021. The program has a renowned reputation in NYC and the US which would make it easier to land a lucrative job.
This is my opinion,would love to hear from current students and alumni of both programs.
you're probably right, but still in case I go back to Europe and do something else than quant could help, but well let's just cross finger that mafn has a strong ranking in the new one, or I'll really start to strongly question my choce

you're probably right, but still in case I go back to Europe and do something else than quant could help, but well let's just cross finger that mafn has a strong ranking in the new one, or I'll really start to strongly question my choce
Well, the program had excellent placements last year (according to the ranking). Good news for you

I would say it is not as good as the ranking. For program it self, NYU fin math would be better. But it might not be really a "wrong choice" since we have many things to consider, not only the placement or the quality of the program.

First of all, if you have heard about how "bad" columbia stats is (I do not mean the ma program but the evaluation from undergrads and grads who took the stats courses... Everyone says it is bad.), you would understand why mafn is as not good as you imagine. Facultys in mafn are mostly from stats and from industry (adjunct). It is not really connected to math department (columbia math department is really a wonderful department). The career service is worse than you can imagine.

Last edited:
Back