• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Really would appreciate any career advice

I moved my questions to the top

1.) With no math background (i took calculus 3 years ago in highschool and all I took is statistics in college) how long would it take to complete the pre-reqs for most schools
2.) Do you think its worth getting a masters in comp. finance or just wait to do my MBA down the road?
3.) Anyone out there like there work in the quant field and switched over from an accounting or information systems background?

Im trying to see if it is feasible for me to go into a quant career by getting my masters in computational finance from Georgia Tech

I just graduated with dual bachelor degrees in Computer Information Systems and Finance (I graduated early im 21)....I have a job offer with a company this July that i have accepted but its not really the work I wanted to end up doing (information system auditing). I loved finance (but my finance GPA was a 2.7...mostly due to a death in my family, my CIS gpa is a 3.8) and I really love modeling things and I want a career that I can move up in.

I dont have any pre-reqs for math (calculus....just statistics), I can however program in Java and C#...I model things daily on my own just for fun and I realized the best suitable career would be in economics or computational finance. It would take me about a year and a half just for the prereqs.....then another year and half for the degree...Im hoping I can come out making about 70-90...but to me I dont know if thats worth it. I have to get my MBA eventually and thats two years but with a starting salary of around 100k

I would have to double check your belief that "I have to get my MBA eventually and thats two years but with a starting salary of around 100k". Not with any MBA.
With your background, you will have to spend sometime taking the req courses either way.

MBA 100k starting salary was common in 2005-2006. Not anymore. Right now, first challenge is to find a job :)

One question...

How is statistics not math?

sorry this is what i said

I dont have any pre-reqs for math (calculus....just statistics)

Pre-reqs for the majority of quant programs require at least three semesters of calc..which I dont have. just having statistics is pretty similar to having none :wall

I would have to double check your belief that "I have to get my MBA eventually and thats two years but with a starting salary of around 100k". Not with any MBA.
With your background, you will have to spend sometime taking the req courses either way.

At the MBA schools I have looked at job placement for 2008 ranged from 60% to as high as 80...I know that an MBA will be worth less but if I decide to get my MBA (because everyone is getting one now) but I will not get it now (sorry if i didnt make it clear), I will get it in a 4 or 5 years...whereas if I go the quant masters route I will get it now. For an MBA I believe I would have enough pre-reqs 4-5 years work experience, a good GMAT, two bachelors, and MAYBE I would have to take calculus depending on the school... I think a starting salary of 100k with 4-5 years experience and an MBA is reasonable.

MBA 100k starting salary was common in 2005-2006. Not anymore. Right now, first challenge is to find a job :)

I know the job market is tough, but like i said above if I go the MBA route I will get one in 4 to 5 years...

I just bought the book "insights from 25 of wall streets elite how i became a quant" I guess I will check that out. I really enjoy finance...I guess the answer lies within me to find. I just wanted to see if anyone with experience could give me insight #-o

Ushahid, we're kinda in the same boat. I graduated from Cornell with a BS in Labor Relations, and I'm just now pursuing prereq courses for MFE. I think your assumption that it would take 1.5 years to complete the prereqs is false. I'm taking 3 calc classes, linear algebra, statistics, accounting, and C++ all over the next 6 months through UC Berkeley extension. You can take classes online at your own pace this way. I expect to begin applying to MFE programs this fall, with the chance of gaining Spring admission at a few schools for 2011.

My point is that you should do some research to see how you can complete your prereq courses in quicker fashion. I wouldn't begin to think about taking the MFE route if it took 1.5 years just to complete the prereqs.

Dan

Back