• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Recommended reading for a beginner

Hi,
I have been admitted in to CGU's financial engineering and GSU's Mathematical Risk management for Fall 2010. I am completely new to the field of finance. Could you anyone out here in the forum kindly suggest me with a book that would deal with the basics of Finance and Risk management. Thank you.

Andy,
How have you been? I have read almost all the posts in the education tab of this forum. From that I have come to a conclusion that CGU's MSFE is a good program albeit a costly affair. That said, I would like you to say about Georgia State University's mathematical risk management program, if you do have something to share about it. Thank you.

After a quick look at the 2 programs websites, their end focus is very different. CGU's MSFE focuses on financial engineering and with electives allows you to customize somewhat, but GSU's mathematical risk management is just that, it focuses on risk. So it really comes down to what you want to do.

I would probably go for CGU myself, if only for the reason that it is ranked in the QuantNetwork rankings.

I got admission to CGU also. Their MFE program seems quite known. Also having access to resources at the other colleges in the consortium that are well known is quite helpfull from what I have read. They prepare you not only for quant related positions but general Finance positions also.
Did you get a fellowship?

Yeah. 25%.

They are putting in C++ courses too now which was lacking previously as a course by itself.

have a look at the review put on the homepage of Quantnet. It gives a pretty clear description of the program as similar points have been re-iterated by everyone I have talked to from the program.

So, are you planning to join CGU? Need more fellowship money man. 20 or 25% is too less which altogether makes the tuition no less. Isn't it?

Yeah. I might goto CGU. All these programs are expensive. I was also told by current students and alumni that it is not that hard to get RA and TA positions to off-set the costs a little bit. So that is a good sign at least. It is a good program and a good school with excellent faculty. Plus, california is amazing!

Have you heard about the Georgia State university's Mathematical Risk management program?
I am also inclined towards CGU dude, but the only concern being the money!

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

@joyride:
what's your gmail or yahoo or facebook id dude?

@kbharadwaj @Joy Pathak : looks like I'll be going to CGU too; though I'll be P/T for the first year. What I like about CGU is with fellowship it's relatively cheap for the quality of the classes, the consortium, location (just gotta go down the 10 or 210 to get to downtown or head south on 605 to get to Long Beach or Orange County...plus, Las Vegas and San Diego are 2-4 hrs away), and weather. Also, you guys are right, I think the Faculty/Staff are actively changing the CGU program to align to the new industry norms...i.e., adding the C++ course as a 'Required' part of the curriculum (even tho you could always take it at Harvey Mudd). Hope to see you guys there in Fall2010.

There's an Open House this Saturday, May 1st, 2010 starting at 9:30Am...I'll be there, maybe meet you guys?

@kbharadwaj @Joy Pathak : looks like I'll be going to CGU too; though I'll be P/T for the first year. What I like about CGU is with fellowship it's relatively cheap for the quality of the classes, the consortium, location (just gotta go down the 10 or 210 to get to downtown or head south on 605 to get to Long Beach or Orange County...plus, Las Vegas and San Diego are 2-4 hrs away), and weather. Also, you guys are right, I think the Faculty/Staff are actively changing the CGU program to align to the new industry norms...i.e., adding the C++ course as a 'Required' part of the curriculum (even tho you could always take it at Harvey Mudd). Hope to see you guys there in Fall2010.

There's an Open House this Saturday, May 1st, 2010 starting at 9:30Am...I'll be there, maybe meet you guys?

Wow, old post. Yeah, I almost did think of going to CGU so I can be in California. haha.

I am going to Illinois Tech now. :)

Could you anyone out here in the forum kindly suggest me with a book that would deal with the basics of Finance and Risk management.

Has anyone seen the book, "Investment Science," by Luenberger and published by Oxford? I don't have a copy myself. Is this the book to recommend for an introductory perspective?

Back