• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Registered Nurse Thinking About Switching Careers and Entering a MS in Financial Engineering program

I was thinking how great it is to have your cake and eat it too. Perhaps an option is you do the degree (if you decide MBA I’m quite sure this is feasible) online and do travel nursing to make some more cash as you get through school.
Maybe. I'm leaning away from the MBA and more towards the MS in Finance because it appears from what I see online, that employers are more interested in a more focused degree.

Other degree's I'm considering are my MS in Information Systems and a Master's in Marketing. On top of my Doctorate of Nurse Anesthesia degree, Nurse Practitioner, and MS in Finance.

But I have enough education benefits to do two more masters so I can consider what you were just suggesting (travel nursing and an MBA or Finance)

Honestly... you never become rich by working for someone else.. it is the least efficient/most pathetic way to become rich. This is the same for quant, doctor, software dev or wut so ever any other things.

However, the purpose getting a stable (or maybe not that stable for quant) job is to get the cash flow coming in, which gives you the freedom and (little bit of) experience to discover things that you might be able to do it on your own. Of cuz it involves certain factor of risks. But hey, you gotta pay the risk premium if you want bigger payoff. Alternatively, you can invest your own money (housing market, stock, cryto currencies etc). Most of the time (at least for me), these side dishes yields much greater profit.

All the rumors you get from the internet that quants make big buck is simply false advertising, unless you are James Simons or D.E Shaw. The 0.0000001% of this industry. Well~~ you can become that rich anyway if you are 0.0000001% of any industry..

Maybe. I'm leaning away from the MBA and more towards the MS in Finance because it appears from what I see online, that employers are more interested in a more focused degree.

Other degree's I'm considering are my MS in Information Systems and a Master's in Marketing. On top of my Doctorate of Nurse Anesthesia degree, Nurse Practitioner, and MS in Finance.

But I have enough education benefits to do two more masters so I can consider what you were just suggesting (travel nursing and an MBA or Finance)
How many degrees is that??
Learning the maths and programming that is needed to be a quant at this stage of the same is a bridge too far.

Last edited:
Honestly... you never become rich by working for someone else.. it is the least efficient/most pathetic way to become rich. This is the same for quant, doctor, software dev or wut so ever any other things.

However, the purpose getting a stable (or maybe not that stable for quant) job is to get the cash flow coming in, which gives you the freedom and (little bit of) experience to discover things that you might be able to do it on your own. Of cuz it involves certain factor of risks. But hey, you gotta pay the risk premium if you want bigger payoff. Alternatively, you can invest your own money (housing market, stock, cryto currencies etc). Most of the time (at least for me), these side dishes yields much greater profit.

All the rumors you get from the internet that quants make big buck is simply false advertising, unless you are James Simons or D.E Shaw. The 0.0000001% of this industry. Well~~ you can become that rich anyway if you are 0.0000001% of any industry..

Are you saying the TV show Billions is a lie?

Back