• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Reply deadline to acceptance

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I just got admitted in the Columbia University’s Financial Engineering Master of Science program beginning Fall 2021.

The committee wants me to reply by 23 Feb 2021.

Others who also got in the program, what is the deadline to reply and submit the deposit? Those who were enrolled last year, was it this early for you all too? Is there a chance to extend this deadline as I am waiting for results from other schools where I applied.

Personally I feel 13 days notice is too less for anyone to make such a big decision specially when most schools declare results quite late and allow till April first week to reply.

Any info on this matter from anyone who have credible information please reply.

Thanks and have a nice day :)

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I just got admitted in the Columbia University’s Financial Engineering Master of Science program beginning Fall 2021.

The committee wants me to reply by 23 Feb 2021.

Others who also got in the program, what is the deadline to reply and submit the deposit? Those who were enrolled last year, was it this early for you all too? Is there a chance to extend this deadline as I am waiting for results from other schools where I applied.

Personally I feel 13 days notice is too less for anyone to make such a big decision specially when most schools declare results quite late and allow till April first week to reply.

Any info on this matter from anyone who have credible information please reply.

Thanks and have a nice day :)
Congrats on your offer! May I know when you submitted the video interview (i.e., when did your application complete)?

Hi! I just got the admittance letter an hour ago too! I'm over the moon :) Same deadlines for acceptance and deposit for me too. Huge congrats to you and should you accept look forward to meeting you!

You can try to email admissions and explain the situation, maybe they'll give you an extension. Worse they can say is no

I got the same deadline. I think they might want to get a response from us and then admit more students based on the turnout.

Congrats on your offer! May I know when you submitted the video interview (i.e., when did your application complete)?
Hi, I submitted my application ( i.e. pre-recorded interview question ) around Dec 14-15. I also submitted the link to an optional introductory video of myself which I had uploaded on youtube for the admission's committee to see. I was not called for any other interview or contacted by the admission's committee since then, until yesterday.

Hope that helps, all the best to everyone out there!

Congrats to everyone who got in!
Can anyone provide their two cents on which is better? Columbia's MFE or NYU Tandon's MFE?
Any pros and cons for both the universities will be highly appreciated and help me and many others :) Thanks in advance!

Congratulations Guys. I didn't receive any communication today.

Anyone who submitted their application around January start, just prior to the priority deadline, received an admit today? Also, anyone with an undergraduate degree outside of the USA?

Anyone who submitted their application around January start, just prior to the priority deadline, received an admit today? Also, anyone with an undergraduate degree outside of the USA?
Hey. I submitted my application around Jan start and I have an undergraduate degree from India.

Roughly the same dates as last year (11 Feb 2020 result, 24 Feb 2020 deposit deadline in my case). Pretty sure they intentionally set the deposit deadline before CMU/Princeton/Courant start sending out their admission results. It has been like this for several years if you ask around or dig up older posts.

Roughly the same dates as last year (11 Feb 2020 result, 24 Feb 2020 deposit deadline in my case). Pretty sure they intentionally set the deposit deadline before CMU/Princeton/Courant start sending out their admission results. It has been like this for several years if you ask around or dig up older posts.
Is Courant a better program than Columbia?

Which program did you join eventually? And which would you suggest between NYU MFE and Columbia MFE? Would you recommend for me to wait for MIT / PRINCETON / CMU results or grab Columbia given the opportunity?
Sorry to bombard with you so many questions.... its just very confusing and I was not prepared to decide what to join so early with less information at hand.

Is Courant a better program than Columbia?
I'd say all of the tier 1 programs are comparable and your own preferences (e.g. location, faculty) could be the deciding factor between them. I didn't get into Princeton/CMU/Courant though, so I was spared the problem.

Which program did you join eventually? And which would you suggest between NYU MFE and Columbia MFE? Would you recommend for me to wait for MIT / PRINCETON / CMU results or grab Columbia given the opportunity?
Sorry to bombard with you so many questions.... its just very confusing and I was not prepared to decide what to join so early with less information at hand.
I joined Columbia. Unless you're absolutely confident that you can get into Princeton/CMU (and you prefer those over Columbia), I'd suggest paying the deposit and forfeiting if you get into your top choice later on.

Not familiar with NYU Tandon's MFE, so I can't comment.

How do you compare Columbia's MFE with other programs(like NYU FinMath, Cornell, UChi)?

Submitted my application on Jan 5 and am a third year undergrad in UK.

Back