• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Reply deadline to acceptance

Same mail here, well good news is that we can wait for other colleges to release their decision before columbia escaping the deposit fee. Bad news is that we will be only called upon in case of vacancy. According to last year we might get a 80% reject decision by april.

It seems that all applicants of Columbia Engineering (not just MFE) received that email if they haven't got an admit until the day the email was sent out. So I don't think that email notifying "under review" has any useful implications other than revealing the obvious fact that there's not yet a decision released in the portal. Chill down guys. The first deposit deadline is about to pass so hopefully we can expect for another round of decisions this week.

It seems that all applicants of Columbia Engineering (not just MFE) received that email if they haven't got an admit until the day the email was sent out. So I don't think that email notifying "under review" has any useful implications other than revealing the obvious fact that there's not yet a decision released in the portal. Chill down guys. The first deposit deadline is about to pass so hopefully we can expect for another round of decisions this week.
Do you have any sense of what percentage of admits were sent out in the first batch of results? Based on the tracker from past years, a few (not a lot, but a few) people did get admits on a number of dates after the first big batch of invites in mid-February.

Also, does anyone know what effect would people deferring/reapplying from last year would have on the number of new admits given out? My guess is that a lot of people who got admits last year, but who did not end up joining the program, would have applied and gotten through again this year. So it should be a more difficult year to get into than usual?

Do you have any sense of what percentage of admits were sent out in the first batch of results? Based on the tracker from past years, a few (not a lot, but a few) people did get admits on a number of dates after the first big batch of invites in mid-February.

Also, does anyone know what effect would people deferring/reapplying from last year would have on the number of new admits given out? My guess is that a lot of people who got admits last year, but who did not end up joining the program, would have applied and gotten through again this year. So it should be a more difficult year to get into than usual?
I don’t have any proved data at hand so we may be unable to calculate the approximate number of offers will be sent in the next batch, but yes, we can see from the tracker that there was another (maybe tiny) batch of decisions released after the first deposit deadline. As for the second part of questions, I think those who deferred/reapplied probably do have some influence on this year’s admissions, but maybe only the adcom can answer these questions. Since we have submitted our applications, maybe the best (and only) thing we can do now is wait and only until decisions are released can we know whether it’s become more difficult this year.

does anyone send the deposit deadline extension request to the admission team?How did they respond?

Hi guys !

I also got an offer for MFE Columbia on Tuesday and the deadline is also on the 23rd. For those planning to accept, we should make a groupchat so that we can connect!
Love this idea! Can I get involved?

does anyone send the deposit deadline extension request to the admission team?How did they respond?
I sent a request for an extra 10 days and I was declined. They said this year is very competitive and they have too large a waitlist to allow extensions.

I was admitted on February 9th, requested an extension for the deposit deadline (I emailed admit@ieor.columbia.edu) on February 18th, and received a response on February 22nd with my deadline extended from February 23rd to March 8th.
The previous poster was admitted on the second wave. You were admitted on the first. Your deadline it seems got pushed back to the second batch deadline.
I sent a request for an extra 10 days and I was declined. They said this year is very competitive and they have too large a waitlist to allow extensions.
you already having the later deadline is probably a good guess why they didn't push it back any further.

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I just got admitted in the Columbia University’s Financial Engineering Master of Science program beginning Fall 2021.

The committee wants me to reply by 23 Feb 2021.

Others who also got in the program, what is the deadline to reply and submit the deposit? Those who were enrolled last year, was it this early for you all too? Is there a chance to extend this deadline as I am waiting for results from other schools where I applied.

Personally I feel 13 days notice is too less for anyone to make such a big decision specially when most schools declare results quite late and allow till April first week to reply.

Any info on this matter from anyone who have credible information please reply.

Thanks and have a nice day :)
Congrats! I am planning on applying this year, can i bother you to share some insights into the application process/your background?

Back