• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF REQUIREMENTS TO Carnegie Mellon - MSCF PROGRAM

hai

Hello, my name is
my dream is to get mscf program in carnegie mellon.
i am 24 years old from israel.
i graduate b.a business major in finance.
before amonth i started a career track in the bank for the job investment adviser( after a year as banker in the bank, i get investment adviser specialization). its take a6 month untill i get the licence.

my questions are:
1.do i have a chance to accept without experience. if yes what gmate score do i need?if not what do i need to do to raise my chances,and be a strong candidate.

2 what are the requirements for this program?

thank you for the helpers.
sorry about the spelling.

i have b.a ,and acorrding to program requirements: "Applicants should hold undergraduate degree in a technical discipline such as mathematics, computer science, engineering or economics". what can i do?

i forgot to indicate that my grade in the degree is 85.
few questions: )
i will be happy to hear ways to raise my chances.
is there need in gmat for this program?

thanks

what required math, programming courses do i need?

i studied programming by selfstudy, does its help? or i need aprove ' i mean to take courses.

does mscf program still count as the best grogram?

does it raise my chances to find ajob as a quant? i ask thet because asaw in the web http://www.quantfinancejobs.com/jobs/quant-us.asp that the requirements are more high than msc in mf.

thanks for the fast answer.

what required math, programming courses do i need?

i studied programming by selfstudy, does its help? or i need aprove ' i mean to take courses.

does it raise my chances to find ajob as a quant? i ask thet because asaw in the web http://www.quantfinancejobs.com/jobs/quant-us.asp that the requirements are more high than msc in mf.

thanks for the fast answer.
You need a lot of math (this is the minimum in my opinion Calculus I/II/III, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Probability, Statistics, Stochastic Processes)... advanced calculus, math modeling, game theory might also be helpful...
I think you should take 1-3 programming courses... or you can say that you have good programming skills in your statement of purpose.

can you answer me please

You can't tell if the program is THE BEST... it's considered to be a top program...
You are right, many real quant jobs require either a PhD or a good quantitative background... you can't really learn a lot deeply enough in a year and a half... especially not with CMU and its mini semesters...

You need to be careful with this degree... financial engineering is not developed in Israel. So, if you you can't find a job in NYC, most likely you will go back to Israel and get a job that doesn't require you to have an MFE.
I would recommend you get an MFE from a university that has a better name in Israel (e.g. NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Stanford, UCB)... that's just my opinion...

you can't really learn a lot deeply enough in a year and a half... especially not with CMU and its mini semesters...

speculation and opinion, as seems to be your forte.

please tell me i'm not the only one who finds that response amusing :)

edit: pot, meet kettle.
Again, if you can't help him (even if you need to correct me), just don't respond...
Nobody needs to see your pointless comments.
Thank you!!

THANKS FOR THE ANSWER. I DONT PLAN TO TO WORK IN ISRAEL.
MY QUESTION IS, CAN I APPLY FOR THIS JOBS IN THE LINK ,WITH A DEGREE MSCF FROM CMU.

THANKS FOR THE ANSWER. I DONT PLAN TO TO WORK IN ISRAEL.
MY QUESTION IS, CAN I APPLY FOR THIS JOBS IN THE LINK ,WITH A DEGREE MSCF FROM CMU.
Then, CMU is a good choice for you...
Take a look at the requirements.... if you meet them, apply.
But, you should wait for an answer from someone more experienced.
Perhaps @mfegrad can say a word or two... or all he likes doing is bitching.

btw, take a look at this website:
http://www.efinancialcareers.com/
this one is also a good one for quant jobs

Perhaps @mfegrad can say a word or two... or all he likes doing is bitching.
What if I told you he is a CMU MSCF grad?
Would it make his word more value than someone who is not in any MFE program, let alone knowing anything about the CMU program?

What if I told you he is a CMU MSCF grad?
Would it make his word more value than someone who is not in any MFE program, let alone knowing anything about the CMU program?
I know he's a CMU MSCF grad... it wouldn't change much about what I said. If he can help, please... (he can even correct me).
But, if he can't help .......

Back