• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Research Proposal: PhD Application

Hello folks,

I'm applying for doctorate degrees in OR and Applied Mathematics (mostly in the US), and I have been suggested that I prepare a research proposal as some supervisors want it.

I am currently learning and navigating through concepts, and it is a little difficult to absorb so much information while doing my undergrad, in addition to reading enough literature to come up with a research proposal. However, my areas of interest so far are:
1. Advanced methods for pricing and hedging of derivative securities:
Subdomains: which include model jump with stochastic volatility; asymptotic methods in option pricing

2. Systemic risk:
Subdomain: quantitative models of financial stability

3. Stochastic control

Would really appreciate any tips on deciding on a research idea among these areas, and any further tips regarding drafting a research proposal would be appreciated too!

Cheers,
Aspiring quant

Read the abstracts of some recent papers in relevant journals to see what current (publishable) topics of interest are, then dig a bit deeper into the ones you find interesting. Often papers include some comments on directions of future research as well.

Back