• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Resume advice (current role in risk)

Hi everyone,

I am recently revising my resume for future opportunities, but I encountered some problems and I wish some professionals here could give me some advice.

I graduated with my master's degree in NYC and currently working as a risk analyst in a bank in Manhattan. I was hired as a risk analyst and worked in the team for months. But later my manager assigned me to help out the trading desks to assist with their daily transactions (more like a back office work for the trading desks), from where I have learned much knowledge about how a bank can manage its daily cash flows and monitor its liquidity (liquidity risk maybe?). Also, I believe it is a great opportunity for me to switch to front office positions in the future.

My question is how I can present these two experiences on my resume? I considered it as "Rotations", but I am working for both departments at the same time and I still have ongoing projects in my old team. How can I phrase it to reduce confusion for the potential hiring manager? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

"Projects involved support of liquidity management function including..."
Hi Mr. Abbott,

Thank you so much for your suggestion! I revised my resume as you suggested. It looks much clearer now. Besides the projects I participate in for my own risk department, I keep three bullet points for the BO work (preparing EOD report, IR sensitivity analysis, payment instruction paperwork). But I listed them under the support function.

However, by saying "supporting", would you think it will put less emphasis on the projects I do at the BO? In fact, I am running several daily reports on my own now and providing the results to the BO head. I really feel lucky that I was assigned this side work because I am learning how a bank is running its cash flows and managing its asset liquidity.

Again, I really appreciate any advice you provide, and have a great weekend!

Hi Mr. Abbott,

Thank you so much for your suggestion! I revised my resume as you suggested. It looks much clearer now. Besides the projects I participate in for my own risk department, I keep three bullet points for the BO work (preparing EOD report, IR sensitivity analysis, payment instruction paperwork). But I listed them under the support function.

However, by saying "supporting", would you think it will put less emphasis on the projects I do at the BO? In fact, I am running several daily reports on my own now and providing the results to the BO head. I really feel lucky that I was assigned this side work because I am learning how a bank is running its cash flows and managing its asset liquidity.

Again, I really appreciate any advice you provide, and have a great weekend!
I don't think anyone will look down on the word "supporting."

Back