• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Resume Help

Hey there again. Since this past year has been very monumental in changing my resume, I decided to completely overhaul it.

Below is my resume for non-actuarial work, if I decide to go that route. If you wish, I would greatly appreciate any criticism and help.

Thanks in advance!

Ilya Kipnis
U.S. Citizen
Phone: omitted
Email: Ilya.Kipnis@Gmail.com
Address: omitted
Objective: To obtain an analytical position in order to apply operations research, financial analysis, and programming skills to global finance and derivatives trading strategies.

Education:
B.S. Information Systems Engineering, Minor Actuarial Science
Lehigh University May 2009
Dean's List Fall 2005, Fall 2007

Relevant Coursework: Random Processes and Applications, Optimization Models and Applications, Algorithms Design, Information Systems Design (current), Game Theory (current), Investments (current), Corporate Financial Policy (current), Monte Carlo Simulation, Design of Experiments

Programming Languages:
C++, VBA, Java, Python, PHP, Javascript, HTML, AMPL, SQL

Sofware Tools:
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Powerpoint, Microsoft Access, Minitab

Professional Exams:
Actuarial Exam I (probability)
Actuarial Exam II (financial mathematics)

Professional Work History:
Intern at Watson Wyatt Worldwide Philadelphia Summer 2008
Assisted in the filing of Schedule Bs, Schedule 5500s, Schedule 5558s. Edited actuarial valuation reports for consulting on pension funds. Gained insight into the actuarial profession and the corporate environment.

Lab Researcher at DrexelUniversity Plasma Institution Summer 2007
Improved design of KIAPS (Kiaps Is A Plasma Squeegee) robot design for NASA using a lego prototype concept demonstrator. Gained insight into design process of professionally-marketed products and offered new designs for a future team to implement.

Leadership and Group Work History
Organizational Planning and Control Fall 2007
Led a team of three other people on two different projects. Optimizing Labor Efficiency & research on Hydroelectricity. Arranged meetings and presentation practice sessions, presented both projects to class.

Leadership Development Spring 2008
Wrote 15 page Personal Strategic Plan, detailing ambition to create wealth in order to build family in financial security. Created presentation on Jim Collins’s Good to Great Hedgehog Concept chapter, along with 5 other group members. Consulted with Medarex on improving operations to increase profits, using Good to Great and AGILITY manufacturing concepts.

Simulation Spring 2008
Worked with two other people on the “Rockwell Shores” simulation project. Managed conflicting personalities. Worked with two different members on airport van shuttling simulation with much better results.

Foreign Languages:
Fluent in Russian (emigrated from Kiev 1990), rudimentary French

Hobbies and TV shows:
Hobbies: Probability puzzles, strategy games
TV shows: Numb3rs

Simulation Spring 2008
Survived with the rest of the class the "Rockwell Shores" simulation project. Exposed to all-nighters for the first time. Worked with two other members on airport van shuttling simulation with much better results.

A little cheeky don't you think?

Under the "Professional Work History Section," you may want to considering using a title other than "Lab Rat"

You probably want to omit your gpa, instead mention any honors societies that you may be a member of or a dean's list type of thing.

A little cheeky don't you think?

Probably. But that literally was the case. Nobody got this thing to work since we were using Arena Simulation and just getting the thing to run was a moral victory since it took 15 minutes on a batch run (no animation).

Edit: Made all of the suggested changes. How does it look?

Thank you all!

Get rid of the "TV Shows" section, and you should be embarrassed for including "The Apprentice" and "Mad Money". If there was further elaboration on the biking and exercising--ie "compete in multiple 5k races each year" or "training for a sprint triathlon"--you'd be better off. Otherwise, you might as well say "designed leak-proof pocket-protector which matches my short-sleeve dress shirts".

If you're including those books, be prepared to talk about them. If I was interviewing you, I'd pick some obscure questions from Hull to quiz you on.

You don't need the "(current)" under relevant coursework...since you're just graduating, they'll probably assume all subjects are current.

Put Excel first under software applications.

Don't put the company name in the objective. It doesn't matter and it just makes it difficult to keep track. If you're networking and handing out resumes, you want them on hand and available. You don't want to accidentally hand someone from JP Morgan a resume that says you want to work at Goldman Sachs.

Otherwise, its not a bad resume...good luck.

And there are no languages like basic C++ or basic Java, however VBA is "basic" already, so you don't need to say basic VBA.

U.S. Citizen on the second line looks very strange for a resume.

That's actually an issue with the fact that the head of career services at my university thought that despite it being illegal, employers thought I was a foreigner and therefore wouldn't want to sponsor me.

Back