• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Retake the class the following semester

Hi all,
I am currently taking Introduction to Financial Mathematics (math 4500) at Baruch College aiming to be a more competitive candidate for Financial Engineering programs.
However, I am not doing well, and it is expected my final grade will be B- or B.
To remedy this situation, I would like retake the same class in Spring 10 and hopefully get an A while applying for Fall Admission.
Is it the right move? If I get the A in Spring 10, will it be convincing?
Thank you for any response.
I really appreciate it.

What was the reason for you not doing well for it?
The purpose for retaking this would be to learn better the material, rather than to get better grade. Better grade is just a result of better studying.
Also, check with the college about the retake policy and how the new grade will be computed into your GPA. In some cases, your old grade will be there so even if you get an A, it will average out.

As far as I know in order to replace the grade you need to either take an F or W in the class. Although the F or W won't count in your gpa if replaced by an A, they will still show up on your transcript during graduate admissions. This means that you need an explanation for why you did badly in the first place.

Note that the class is being taught by one of the MFE professors and you may want to talk to her in order to figure out what the best way to go is.

Back