• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Reverse Cash and Carry Arbitrage

NES

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have been learning about financial engineering on my own for a while (it could be called "career development", or just messing around with new things). I've done quite a bit with computational finance in my work, but some of this is new territory for me! My friend who's been helping me learn gave me a few problems, one has me pretty much stumped. He asked how you'd (hypothetically) carry out reverse cash and carry arbitrage with crude oil. My understanding is that you'd have to short spot crude oil, but how could you actually carry this out? I've tried several things, but haven't gotten anywhere with it. Am I missing something obvious? It seems easy enough with bonds or a stock index, but what about a physical commodity like crude oil?

Thanks.

Back