• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin Review: MIT On The Road

Hi All,

Yesterday I attended the MIT On The Road event in Miami, FL. Although it mostly focused on the MBA program, they took the time to speak about the MFin program as well.
In attendance were two people from admissions, Jeffrey Carbone and a lady whose name I cannot recall right now and I have the business cards at home. There were also many alumns in attendance.

They showed many highlights of the program and something I really liked is how 'hands-on' it is. They have what is called Action Learning where you participate with an actual company solving an actual problem. For those of us more hands-on this is something to really consider.

Aside from program highlights and admissions questions, we had a lot of time to ask question to the alumns.
I gained the most insight by speaking to them. A class of 2008 graduate said something that really caught my attention. He said, 'you are making a decision on a school thinking you know a lot about all the programs, when in reality what you know is very little.' I found this very interesting. We are all trying to get the most information that we can (job placement, career services) and what we find out is usually very little. Once you are in a program, you get to see ALL the things they offer.

Another great point made by a 2012 graduate (and shared by most alumni) was that one goes to the program thinking they want to do something very specific (ie. work at a hedge fund trading exotic derivatives, develop software at a BB, etc) but when they leave the program they've seen a lot and their perspective really changes.

Overall it was a good experience and they do a very good job of selling their program. Unfortunately I couldn't stay too long networking but I did meet some people and got to speak one-on-one to the admissions people present (they hadn't heard of QuantNet, but again, they were mostly focusing on the MBA).

Best,

Fer

Thanks for sharing, Fer. Always good to hear from first person perspective.
I assume the alumni you spoke too are all MBA grads and they have little knowledge of the MFin program?

Wouldn't be surprised if they are not familiar with QuantNet too. I spoke to a MFin staff member not too long ago and was told that when they did a formal survey of the incoming MFin students, QuantNet was #1 source of how the students learn about the program.

Different audience and market, I guess.

Back