• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Rioting at NYU?

RussiaToday, hmm. I just watch Russian news in Russian(no point in waiting for the person to translate from Russian into English and me having to translate back what he/she is actually trying to say). There are at least 3(to my knowledge anyways) Russian-speaking channels in US that are sponsored by the Russian government and 1 English language Russian channel sponsored by the Russian government(RussiaToday). As far as the NYU protest I'm not sure what they were actually protesting(it was to see how tuition is being used etc?) but I do not see how sponsorship of Gaza students got thrown in there.

There was an issue that they wanted full scholarships for 13 Gaza students, while at the same time wanting full transparency for college costs and having a real issue with the administration.

Now look, I might very well riot if I was being charged $50,000 a year for an undergraduate education while I and many of my friends were unemployed (okay, I would NOT riot, but I am picking a bone with Lehigh about their arbitrary rules).

But once that issue about Gaza scholarships came in there, my opinion changed from "they do have a point" to "what a bunch of clowns...expel them all."

I mean when you're protesting costs, you don't go demanding additional expenditures!

What do you mean what is that supposed to mean?

I thought I was pretty clear with that. I find the idea that you have a bunch of undergraduate students protesting against high costs, while at the same time, demanding that NYU's money be thrown away in such a manner utter comedy, although perhaps it's slightly disturbing and tragic at the same time.

As for my political viewpoints, we can take that to PMs if you'd like. This isn't the board for discussing them.

Actually, the question on the table wasn't why are they asking for more money, no - the question was why is it so funny that they want scholarships for Gaza students.

But your PM shows me why and I have a feeling that your viewpoint wont change.

There was an issue that they wanted full scholarships for 13 Gaza students, while at the same time wanting full transparency for college costs and having a real issue with the administration.

Now look, I might very well riot if I was being charged $50,000 a year for an undergraduate education while I and many of my friends were unemployed (okay, I would NOT riot, but I am picking a bone with Lehigh about their arbitrary rules).

But once that issue about Gaza scholarships came in there, my opinion changed from "they do have a point" to "what a bunch of clowns...expel them all."

I mean when you're protesting costs, you don't go demanding additional expenditures!

In wake of this recession the fees should be reduced atleast for the next few years , the logic of the high fees was that these are professional programs with a good ROI.

Since the ROI has decreased what is the point of such high fees.Education like hosuing prices should decrease, however you are finding fees are increasing 5% every year.

In wake of this recession the fees should be reduced at least for the next few years , the logic of the high fees was that these are professional programs with a good ROI.

Since the ROI has decreased what is the point of such high fees.Education like hosuing prices should decrease, however you are finding fees are increasing 5% every year.

That is the cynical and unspoken logic, which no-one will spell out honestly. Instead the deceitful argument in good times was that this was "investing in yourself" and these programs represented "excellent value." Now that the market for these degrees no longer exists, those offering them stay silent. In the next few years I expect many of these "professional" programs to bite the dust, and even more, for whole departments to close down.

In a bullish market even 2 nd tier programs are able to place the students and in bear market even the best programs fail.So we really need to ask ourselves as are these programs as good as they claim.

The USA is on the road to becoming a failed state. In my humble opinion.

Unfortunately, no matter how the deciding forces play out, I simply don't see any other countries taking over the US's leading role in the foreseeable future. China? Russia? India? France? EU? Japan everyone? Huh, what a joke.

In a bullish market even 2 nd tier programs are able to place the students and in bear market even the best programs fail.So we really need to ask ourselves as are these programs as good as they claim.

I think Dominic Conner (long absent from this forum) made the comment that the MFE is really a "conversion course" -- it's designed to quickly acquaint students with strong math and computing backgrounds some of the basics of how the math and computing get used in finance. This, and placing students, constitute the raison d'etre of the MFE. Now suppose the jobs aren't there -- then there's no logic in doing such a degree and paying tens of thousands of dollars to avaricious and heartless finance and math departments. Do these programs provide any coherent intellectual training? Nope. They're just a smorgasbord of various bits and pieces -- a little stochastic, a little time series, a little C++, and so on. Not at all like the training a grad math or physics students will receive at a serious university.

Unfortunately, no matter how the deciding forces play out, I simply don't see any other countries taking over the US's leading role in the foreseeable future. China? Russia? India? France? EU? Japan everyone? Huh, what a joke.

Crack open a history book. There was no leading power between 1919 and 1939. Pax Britannica was over and Pax Americana began only after 1945. The major powers -- Britain, France, Germany, the USA, and Japan were all jostling for position. Not necessary that anyone will take over the USA's role or that anyone would want to. A multipolar world is inevitable as the US hegemon continues to weaken.

Back