• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Risk Management in NYT

Yves Smith doesn't like it so much:
naked capitalism: Woefully Misleading Piece on Value at Risk in New York Times
The New York Times Sunday Magazine has a long piece by Joe Nocera on value at risk models, which tries to assess how much they can be held accountable for risk management failures on Wall Street.
The piece so badly misses the basics about VaR that it is hard to take it seriously, although many no doubt will.

I'd agree that too much stress is put on normality. Overly simplistic, yes, and mere gestures on fundamental issues (overreliance on history and on ratings were baked into the overreliance on VaR), but hey it's only the NYTSM.

The question is, is there a fat tailed distribution that can be fitted to the data? The Cauchy distribution's moments are completely undefined due to diverging integrals. Is this characteristic of all fat tailed distributions, meaning that there is no way to truly measure the tails?

IK86, that's not even the question (which is where I part company from Yves' plaint). Large firms used direct historical sampling (more than the 2 years indicated in NYT) across thousands of data series to estimate VaR (so higher moments are baked in as well), forgetting that past performance is no guarantee ... not to mention the problems of classification for mixed and leveraged assets. For individual asset classes, there have been numerous attempts to generalize distributions e.g. for option pricing, and Taqqu & Samorodnitsky's Stable Non-Gaussian Random Processes lays the basis for stochastic analysis, but multivariate approaches remain lacking. Tail estimation is another matter (see e.g. Embrechts' Extreme Value Theory). Deficiencies in multivariate and marginal techniques are further compromised by sparse observational data and by asynchronous behaviors (GARCH notwithstanding). All of these alternatives were established by the late 90s, but none of the attendent problems overcome.

[clarification: it's multivariant estimation that remains lacking, not the formalism itself]

Incidentally, there was also an Op-Ed in the Sunday paper by Michael Lewis and David Einhorn: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/opinion/04lewiseinhorn.html

Mostly ideas and topic that have been discussed before, but I'd be interested in hearing anyone's opinion on it.

Like you said, nothing ground breaking, but the article did a wonderful job explaining the concepts and issues to my wife in such a way that I have not not been able to do.

Back