• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Rumor: Windows 8 Set for September Reveal

The Windows 8 talk has really been heating up over the last week or so and today brings speculation about a possible release date for the OS.

It’s been 18 months since Microsoft’s Windows 7 hit retailers’ shelves and if the latest reports are to be believed, the beta of the next version Windows will arrive in six month’s time. Microsoft has announced that the company’s annual Professional Developers Conference will kick off September 13 and run through to September 16.

Considering Microsoft debuted the first public beta of Windows 7 at PDC 2008, Business Insider is leading the way in speculating that PDC 2011 will include a demo of the first public beta of Windows 8.

If we’re to follow Microsoft’s Windows 7 release schedule, the PDC 2011 public beta of Windows 8 will give way to a fall 2012 shipping date for the completed version of the operating system.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Public-Beta-Release-Date-Shipping-Date,12569.html

I can finally skip Windows 7 and upgrade my Windows ME machine to 8. Can't wait.

I like 7, you should upgrade anyway. Vista, OTOH, should be skipped without reservation.

It'll be greate if we see a new version of windows but I don't think it's realy needed now. Win7 doesn't lack many features which can be an adaption problem from older versions of windowses. I personally like due to it's compatibility with the older versions scripts. When I write a program on XP SP3, I need to correct or at least search for the default settings which are supported by all OSs in order to make the application platform independent. And Win7 doesn't need that. The speed with which the new OS launched will become popular will make the applications' development time less. (at least hypothetically...such expected)

Tell us more, Avinash
That's terrific news and something you don't hear every day.

To be fair, Win 7 does seem to be a slight improvement on the previous versions. I run it on parallels desktop on my mac and it hasn't been as wretched as XP (so far). If this mini upward trend is kept up, with a bit of luck, Win 8 might actually end up being substandard or perhaps even just about intolerable.

To be fair, Win 7 does seem to be a slight improvement on the previous versions. I run it on parallels desktop on my mac and it hasn't been as wretched as XP (so far). If this mini upward trend is kept up, with a bit of luck, Win 8 might actually end up being substandard or perhaps even just about intolerable.

I wouldn't say so. Are you talking about interface, functionality and such features added are "a slight improvement"? Yes I agree then. They might not be needed at all. But take a look from the programmer's view. We don't have to defend the applications constructed from enormous numbers of exceptions compared with the previous ones. And vise, program written on Win7 has to be monitored while writting in order to be exposed to less platform incompatibility while running it on another OS.

417505EKMJ_w.jpg

Are you talking about interface, functionality and such features added are "a slight improvement"?

Yes, that's all I was referring to. I couldn't quite follow your other point... are you saying that from a programmer's point of view, Win 7 is better than previous versions or worse?

I wouldn't say so. Are you talking about interface, functionality and such features added are "a slight improvement"? Yes I agree then. They might not be needed at all. But take a look from the programmer's view. We don't have to defend the applications constructed from enormous numbers of exceptions compared with the previous ones. And vise, program written on Win7 has to be monitored while writting in order to be exposed to less platform incompatibility while running it on another OS.
You don't know what you're talking about.

I couldn't quite follow your other point... are you saying that from a programmer's point of view, Win 7 is better than previous versions or worse?

Win 7 / Vista have a lot of new features. Of course both are desktop OS so mainly it's about how to develop UI (think about Touch API, Taskbar, High DPI, Sensor and Location API, Direct2D and DirectWrite technologies, interaction with devices and power management etc.) but there are also very nice improvements in kernel like timer coalescing, user space scheduling (finally!), kernel space transaction API (finally!) etc...

For example, you can find more here (about Vista):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/kernel-en.doc
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.02.vistakernel.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.03.vistakernel.aspx

Yes, that's all I was referring to. I couldn't quite follow your other point... are you saying that from a programmer's point of view, Win 7 is better than previous versions or worse?

Yes I'm talking from the programmer's point of view. I meant Windows OSs alone compared with each other. I have a day-to-day toch with win7 and xp versions and while writing an application it is much simpler to write them on win7 and let it configure the details rather than do manually every detail while programming on xp. Some components are also easy to install and use in visual studio while having trouble installing some of them on VS while running xp. Check DevExpress components.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Do you have a programming experience with win7 and older versions of windows??? I think no. Take a look on my above post and I'll give you a link of some DevExpress components and try to install them on VS 2010 while running Win XP. Then install them on Win7 VS and see the difference. So, you don't know what you are criticizing...

Am I the only one who is surprised that @alain has been so restrained on this thread? Alain, isn't this a topic dear to your heart?

Back