• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Rutgers Math finance Vs Columbia MSOR

Hi guys!! Which go you think is a better choice columbia MSOR or Rutgers math finance.
I talked to the admission office and it seems Rutgers have a placement of 45/50 last year. This includes all the students in the class. The rutgers curriculum is really good and flexible plus location is not bad. Yet Columbia is a big name in ur resume but a class size of 120+ doesnt sound healthy.. Please post ur opinions.

I would go for Columbia. The prestige that it brings is more than enough. In general it is all up to you. But in one case you would say I went to Rutgers on the other I have a Masters in Engineering from Columbia. ;) Plus of these 120 not everyone wants to concetrate in Financial Engineering. If you are good enough competition should not scare you.

Umich VS Cornell VS GaTech vs Rutgers vs Boston...

I have admits from Boston Rutgers( mqf) and Umich......i prefer umich over the other two....waiting for Cornell and Gatech to respond though.....

In case i get admits from Cornell and Gatech , is it better than a Umich admit

Umich VS Cornell VS GaTech vs Rutgers vs Boston...

I have admits from Boston Rutgers( mqf) and Umich......i prefer umich over the other two....waiting for Cornell and Gatech to respond though.....

In case i get admits from Cornell and Gatech , is it better than a Umich admit
Hi maldini... Even i had admits from Umich, Rutgers(msmf) and Boston...Rutgers mqf i dont know much...
I have talked to couple of currents students in Umich there..They told me that Umich was not worth the money u spent.. Very poor placements..admission office sent me a mail stating 20% full time placements. and location is poor compared to boston or rutgers..

I don't understand the thinking behind "MSOR has 120+ students, therefore I should attend another program due to the high number of competition." Aren't you going to end up competing with them anyways if you end up attending Cornell or wherever? If the name of Cornell or Umich, etc does not stack up to Columbia's MSOR (in your own opinion), then why would you go there. You are going to have to make yourself stand out no matter what.

I don't understand the thinking behind "MSOR has 120+ students, therefore I should attend another program due to the high number of competition." Aren't you going to end up competing with them anyways if you end up attending Cornell or wherever? If the name of Cornell or Umich, etc does not stack up to Columbia's MSOR (in your own opinion), then why would you go there. You are going to have to make yourself stand out no matter what.
Well i said that the MSOR class size is unhealthy it doesnt have anything to do with competition.

Well i said that the MSOR class size is unhealthy it doesnt have anything to do with competition.

Oh. Good point. Sorry if I misunderstood. I think the class size is okay. Having gone to a large public university for undergrad, I'm used to having a huge class size. You just have to work your way around that and be more proactive.

Back