• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Rutgers MQF or Stony Brook AMS

Rutgers MQF or Stony Brook AMS

• Rutgers MQF

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Stony Brook AMS

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
I have gotten accepted into both. Which program do you guys think is better? I am currently leaning towards Rutgers being that it is higher on the rankings but I've heard some good things about Stony Brook, and in addition I am a NYS resident so Stony Brook would be cheaper for me.

SBU as a NY resident is so cheap it hurts. This sub doesn't like to discuss loan payments - I would rather pocket my signing bonus and first paychecks. The program is super math heavy. Really you are getting a degree in applied math (not really a MFE) and will feel that at times. I would say that SBU probably has less mainstream department support than other programs. With that being said, SBU has small class sizes and professors/coordinators will be very helpful and attentive if you want. This program will really be what you put into it. If you are someone who has trouble taking the reigns, this program may not be good for you.

I have yet to have an issue with SBU on my resume - started a FT position with 2 columbia MFEs and 1 from CMU's program.

Didn't realize you also mentioned Rutgers - I was in the same boat 2.5 years ago. I have commented this on someone else's post before - here are the highlights. Rutger's MQF feels super buisnessy. A few of their courses are flat our finance classes. Some of their own alumni have shared with me that they had do to a lot of outside studying to make up for this. If you want to do the "less quanty, may end up getting a CFA and calling it a day" route, this is probably the better pick. Sell side derivatives desks, buy side QR, HFT -> the math rigor at SBU would be a better call. Plus MQF out of state hurts-hurts and the campus is in a not-so-great area.

Back