• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Rutgers MSMF Rutgers MSMF program placements

Well, at the college where I did both MS Stats and MS Financial Mathematics (simultaneously!), the way that the tuition works, one only pays for four courses each semester -- so the fifth (and the sixth, for those of us who are totally crazy) are FREE. Of course, this arrangement only applies to in-state residents such as myself -- foreigners and people from other states don't get this benefit.

Now, the fact that I did the above while also holding a full-time job, THAT was certifiable lunacy...

o_O

Yes it is the same at RU. As you suggest, I was considering the case where someone would not want to take 5 or 6 classes. But you are right to point out that this is technically possible and a way to avoid marginal tuition cost.

Sounds like you did school and work both at a full-time pace toward two degrees. That's very impressive.

Just a small update.

I received an email from Carla(the careers person), telling me that she's canceling our meeting today because this year's admission's been closed.(One hour before the meeting, and then of course she's irresponsive after the email) I don't know how that has any relevance to me surveying the program's "real" placement. She asked me to contact her next year. Are you kidding me?

I feel offended. She was very unsupportive throughout. She provided no email responses for weeks, she was never in her office when I visited the office hours, she never answers the phone, and BOOM! She sets up an appointment and cancels it an hour before. It seems like she not interested in working with the students at all.

I doubt this has anything to do with the admission crunch time. She's not even involved in the admissions process. I'm extremely disappointed. How unprofessional.

Just a small update.

I received an email from Carla(the careers person), telling me that she's canceling our meeting today because this year's admission's been closed.(One hour before the meeting, and then of course she's irresponsive after the email) I don't know how that has any relevance to me surveying the program's "real" placement. She asked me to contact her next year. Are you kidding me?

I feel offended. She was very unsupportive throughout. She provided no email responses for weeks, she was never in her office when I visited the office hours, she never answers the phone, and BOOM! She sets up an appointment and cancels it an hour before. It seems like she not interested in working with the students at all.

I doubt this has anything to do with the admission crunch time. She's not even involved in the admissions process. I'm extremely disappointed. How unprofessional.

Let me make sure I understand. You had a meeting canceled with the career services manager for a program that you are not admitted to because admissions is closed? You should probably rethink how this works. If she is an employee of the MSMF program, why would she be obligated to meet with anyone who is not an enrolled MSMF student? Her job is to help the current MSMF students find placement.

Also, I'm positive they monitor this site, so the trash talk earlier might be why your meeting was canceled.

Joe Ross

Hi, let me lay it out for you.

a) I didn't apply, so the admission being closed part is irrelevant. I'm a current Rutgers student considering a second degree in MSMF.
b) My purpose of the meeting with her was to survey what the "real" placement for the program is like, so it'll help me decide if I want to apply or not. She knows this too, because it was made clear in our email conversation.
c) While you're right about her job being helping current students with the career services, the other parts of her job are to increase the visibility of the program and to assist prospective students in their decision making process.

d) I highly doubt "trash talk" had any major effect (if any), that would be very unprofessional of them. Moreover, my comments earlier are not trash talk, I delivered facts.

Joe Ross

Hi, let me lay it out for you.

a) I didn't apply, so the admission being closed part is irrelevant. I'm a current Rutgers student considering a second degree in MSMF.
b) My purpose of the meeting with her was to survey what the "real" placement for the program is like, so it'll help me decide if I want to apply or not. She knows this too, because it was made clear in our email conversation.
c) While you're right about her job being helping current students with the career services, the other parts of her job are to increase the visibility of the program and to assist prospective students in their decision making process.

d) I highly doubt "trash talk" had any major effect (if any), that would be very unprofessional of them. Moreover, my comments earlier are not trash talk, I delivered facts.
Sorry, Minsuk Chang, I'm with Joe Ross on this one. You'd be surprised at the extent to which this site is monitored. I know for a fact that Carla is well aware of this site, having discussed it with her

Ken Abbott

I'd be very disappointed if that really is the reason why the meeting was canceled. Call me naive, but I still doubt it, hahaha. It's still pretty hard to believe that they would track you down, and if you've said anything negative about the program(even if it's just stating what happened), they would not work with you.

Oh well.

Back