• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Scholarships/Grants

hi,

i am a prospective MFE student. At the moment, i am arranging for finances for my MFE (for 2009 session), is there any scholarship/grant available specifically for MFE apart from regular bank loans/university loans etc.? if someone aware of any thing please let me know.

thanks

Kamran

hard to say - as far as financial aid goes, i am not aware of any available to MFEs, or even to graduate students in general (that's what i was told by our fin aid office anyways).
this is especially the case for international students, who do not qualify for any governmental fin aid.

when it comes to grants and scholarships, it's a different story - although i am not aware of any ones that are MFE-specific, they will focus on your academic/scholastic achievements, vs. your legal/income/other factors.

in general, i've heard from people that it might be hard to justify fin aid to MFEs, because of relatively high starting salary/tuition ratio - "if you're going to be getting six digits right after school, just get the loans". this is especially the case for baruch mfe - our tuition is the lowest of all other programs (~$9K and ~$18K for instate and outofstate/international students respectively).

this could be a good thread for the relevant questions, anybody else knows anything helpful on the topic?

this could be a good thread for the relevant questions, anybody else knows anything helpful on the topic?

I think you've summarized everything there is to say about fin aid for MFE :)

As I understand, the only way to finance grad school education (other than grants, loans and scholarships) is through TAs, RAs, GAs and Fellowships. There are a few TAs in the program, but I'm not sure who they are. I know some are Alumni, don't know if any of the current students are also TAs. So the best thing to do is to either save some money or borrow loans.

hi,

i am a prospective MFE student. At the moment, i am arranging for finances for my MFE (for 2009 session), is there any scholarship/grant available specifically for MFE apart from regular bank loans/university loans etc.? if someone aware of any thing please let me know.

thanks

Kamran

I've been through graduate school twice. I might be mistaken but in the past there was not such a thing as Scholarships/grants for graduate students. You can try to get a loan or a TA/Fellowship, etc.

i once created a profile on fastweb.com, the service promised to notify me of any available scholarships fitting my profile. apparently, there are so many scholarships that can be targeting rather specific students (hypothetic example - young latin-american females fighting asthma and having visual impediments).
so, who knows, may be you will fit one of those grants.
be careful though, at some point it got annoying, i was getting letters almost every day, and in the end had to unsubscribe.

i once created a profile on fastweb.com, the service promised to notify me of any available scholarships fitting my profile. apparently, there are so many scholarships that can be targeting rather specific students (hypothetic example - young latin-american females fighting asthma and having visual impediments).
be careful though, at some point it got annoying, i was getting letters almost every day, and in the end had to unsubscribe.
+1
Good tip, Dmytro. i had a similar experience with fastweb. I don't remember when I used it...must be during my senior undergrad year. Student can customize their profile to locate obsolete scholarship. It got to the point I was getting daily notices about scholarship/grand/award/essay contest that targets male Asian-American in his 20s, first in family to go to college, planning to study hard science, living in Northeast, making less than $10K a year, single, non-smoker, Catholic, computer-savvy...

Well, it's a stretch but it's an idea how specific it can go. I wouldn't be surprised if you see tons of scholarships nobody heard of before that you can apply. You can save those you are intersted in your list and it will remind you of which ones will expire shortly. There are so many scholarships that it got really crazy.

Internet is a resource treasure. Dig it and you will find everything you want.

Goodluck.

Thankx

=D>

people, great responses.

by the way dymtro, i had a similar experience with fastweb from the last 5-6 years (if not mistaken), however no success so far. it offers you a lot but now i doubt its system. anyhow, thanks once again for ur responses and time.

regards,

Master in Finance vs MFE

how do you guys compare MFE programs offered in US with Master in Finance (MIF) of London Business School.

My view:

First of all i think, if we dig down both of the degrees are different. As MIF is a bit general/novice level degree but MFE is a more specialized/comprehensive degree.

However, having said that, i think MIF has a broader potential job market than MFEs (because of it nature).

Lastly, MIF generally does not have strict conditions on pre-requisites however MFEs do?

guys please response actively because i am in the middle of evaluation for these degrees.

thanks a bunch.

Kamran

search other threads about MFE vs other degrees

this is one of those MFE vs. MBA, vs. MsF vs. PhD questions; there's a bunch of threads about this on quantnet, just run a search, you;ll come across those.

yes, masters in finance is a much broader/general type of education. i think US and UK masters in finance are equally general and equally different from MFE.

yes again, MFE is much, MUCH more specific and specialized, hence the prerequisites. don't forget, it's pretty much applying science to finance.

from experience and other people's opinions, most of the stuff that a typical MsF would be doing at the firm can be taught during the course of corporate training that the new employees go through upon being hired. to a big extend, same goes for MBAs.

MFE skills are much more specialized and people concede it's very hard to teach them on the go, one has to have a serious academic background in that. for most quant positions, people, while willing to teach you certain tricks/details, expect you to hit the ground running.

it all depends on what you want to do, you can't say that one degree is better than another, for one could make a strong case for either.

bottom line - MsFinance - broader but shallower, MFE - more specialized but much deeper.
an MFE's equivalent of MsF's $ is (\int)

MS in Finance is more general in terms of that you learn how things work: markets, exchanges, corporations etc, and learn how to do elementary things.
MS in FE is concentrated more around how to do complicated things with help of math, computers etc.

Back