• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

SDE and martingale

Hey,
Find the values for p where (dx(t)=(-r+pr+\frac{1}{2}p(p-1)\sigma^2)x(t)dt+p\sigma x(t)dW(t)) is a martingale?
Why can't I say that if the process has zero drift then it's a martingale and solve ((-r+pr+\frac{1}{2}p(p-1)\sigma^2)=0)? or how should I go about this - is the only way, to use the properties of a martingale and show for which p the conditions are fulfilled or is there an easier way?

(The question is a subpart of another question where I found an SDE:
(dY(t)=(pr+\frac{1}{2}p(p-1)\sigma^2)Y(t)dt+p\sigma Y(t)dW(t))
and I have to find the values for p where (exp(-rt)Y(t)) is a martingale so I define (x(t)=exp(-rt)Y(t)) and use Ito, to get
(dx(t)=(-r+pr+\frac{1}{2}p(p-1)\sigma^2)x(t)dt+p\sigma x(t)dW(t)))

I guess the reason why the problem is defined by martingale term instead of simply asking for a solution to an equation is that you can simplify the problem using Ito's lemma - like the way you posted in the end.

Back