• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

See whether I get a chance to be admitted

Hi, I'm from China, now studying in Shanghai. I plan to apply MFE at the end of this year. Not sure whether or which school am I qualified. Would you like to give some advice?

Undergraduate: University in shanghai, guess you've never heard
Major: Financial engineering
GPA:3.3/4.0
Class taken:

C++
SQL (we are programing a security trading system)

Mathematical Analysis
linear algebra
stochastic process
probability
mathematical statistic

Financial Econometrics ( use OXedit, same like C++? rarely used)
financial engineering 1 (book: HULL)
financial engineering 2 (book: the professor write it by himself, mainly focus on B-S, and it's implication)
macroeconomics
microeconomics
investment bank
corporate finance
investment
financial institue
financial statement analyze
Money and banking
insurance

some other accounting and management stuff ...

As you see, the class I've taken is more finance than financial engineering.

besides that, I did some intern in local IB(research) and also participated in venture. Not sure whether such experience will help.

Math courses are enough actually, though not very strong.
Not very high GPA and not a famous university may be major problems. Top programs usually admit students from top Chinese university with high GPA.

Math courses are enough actually, though not very strong.
Not very high GPA and not a famous university may be major problems. Top programs usually admit students from top Chinese university with high GPA.

I'm not sure how "famous" is called famous for a Chinese university.....have you heard about shanghai university of finance and economics (shufe)?

Since there's still half a year, what should i do next?
Do some intern?
learn more matlab/C++ etc. ?
THX

I'm not sure how "famous" is called famous for a Chinese university.....have you heard about shanghai university of finance and economics (shufe)?

Since there's still half a year, what should i do next?
Do some intern?
learn more matlab/C++ etc. ?
THX
I think it is hard for u to get into top programs.
You have to know that you need to have a really impressive background even if you are in Tsinghua or Peking U.

Programming and math should very helpful. So are internships.

u can simply check princeton student resumes and compare those to ur profile to find improvement ideas. u will get into some program but whether or not finding a job is another story.

u can simply check princeton student resumes and compare those to ur profile to find improvement ideas. u will get into some program but whether or not finding a job is another story.
Any tips where can I find such 'Princeton' resume ?
Currently, for me, to find a program is on the top agenda...
THX

I think it is hard for u to get into top programs.
You have to know that you need to have a really impressive background even if you are in Tsinghua or Peking U.

Programming and math should very helpful. So are internships.
And so are the GPA and recommend letter...

= =|

It seems that lack some highlights in the resume.

Do you think that my experience in some trading in Forex/stock may help? Try to make some simple program trading strategy on MT4? Somehow it proves my interest in this stuff......

Back