• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does accounting background students get a chance to be admitted into MFE programs?

I just checked my application status of Baruch MFE program. It says: As of December 15th, the latest status we have on file of your application to the Baruch MFE Program for Fall 2011 is Denied.

I'm currently a senior student and my major is accounting. Does that mean I won't even be considered? I really love mathematics and programming and certainly want a career in quant finance. Just a little bit annoyed.

Well, baruch mfe is quite competitive as you can see from their entrance numbers. If your courses don't show a strong quantitative background it will be hard to differentiate you from the rest of the applications who have significant quantitative backgrounds(Engineers,mathematicians,physicists). Don't let this rejection affect you. There are several programs out there. Stay positive!

I just checked my application status of Baruch MFE program. It says: As of December 15th, the latest status we have on file of your application to the Baruch MFE Program for Fall 2011 is Denied.

I'm currently a senior student and my major is accounting. Does that mean I won't even be considered? I really love mathematics and programming and certainly want a career in quant finance. Just a little bit annoyed.
hey,

Have you taken any math, programming, finance or economics courses ?
Math and programming are very important in this field.

Roni.

hey,

Have you taken any math, programming, finance or economics courses ?
Math and programming are very important in this field.

Roni.
Calculus 1,2; Linear Algebra; Probability; Mathematical statistics; Intro of Finance; Financial derivatives; Financial management; Micro/Macro-economics...

Got one paper on image segmentation algorithm (I did the Matlab), got one programming internship in a software company, a risk management internship in a Trust fund. Recently I just finished my internship in Citibank as a intern financial analyst.

Calculus 1,2; Linear Algebra; Probability; Mathematical statistics; Intro of Finance; Financial derivatives; Financial management; Micro/Macro-economics...

Got one paper on image segmentation algorithm (I did the Matlab), got one programming internship in a software company, a risk management internship in a Trust fund. Recently I just finished my internship in Citibank as a intern financial analyst.

What about grades? GRE?

Well I don't know. Maybe your essays or recommendations. The ad com must have seen something.

If I were you, I wouldn't give up...
Don't stop applying just because you were denied by one program. Apply to other programs.

Also, if you are 100% you want to do it, why not take more math courses ?
Many applicants have engineering and science degrees, so what makes you competitive here ?

I'm actually in the same boat, I am a finance major, but I have been working on it since my junior year and will start sending applications after I retake the GRE (did poorly on my first attempt).

If I were you, I wouldn't give up...
Don't stop applying just because you were denied by one program. Apply to other programs.

Also, if you are 100% you want to do it, why not take more math courses ?
Many applicants have engineering and science degrees, so what makes you competitive here ?

I'm actually in the same boat, I am a finance major, but I have been working on it since my junior year and will start sending applications after I retake the GRE (did poorly on my first attempt).

I will not give up, and that is for sure. You know, things get quite complicated when you're in China. My school just didn't allow me to take any other mathematics and programming courses! I had to study on my own and seek for help from professors in another UNIVERSITY.:wall

I will not give up, and that is for sure. You know, things get quite complicated when you're in China. My school just didn't allow me to take any other mathematics and programming courses! I had to study on my own and seek for help from professors in another UNIVERSITY.:wall
they don't let you take extra courses even if you pay? interesting....

Your name is misleading to say the least ;)
I can't say why your app was not successful but I'm certain it wasn't because of your accounting major. I know many students in the program who are music, history, law majors.

I love 24 series. And I love the secret service man Aaron Pierce, so you see..:D

Back