• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Seeking advice on prerequistes for MFE and Ms application prep

Hi all,

I will be graduating with a B.Tech. and M.Tech. Dual Degree in Computer Science and Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology in a couple of months. I've accepted the role of Software Developer in a tech(read non-finance) company. I've been looking into Quantitative finance for the past few months, and I'm seriously considering a Financial Engineering/Computational Finance master's program. My current goal is the MS Computational Finance program at Carnegie Mellon University for 2024. I've got a pretty decent grasp of programming and have done the following math courses during my UG
- Functions of Several Variables
- Discrete Mathematics for CS
- Series and Matrices
- Accounting and Finance for Engineers
- Probability, Statistics, and Stochastic Processes
- Non-Linear Optimisation
- Linear Algebra and Numerical Analysis

1) What online courses would you recommend to fill in the further pre-requisites?
2) Opinions on Datasim course: Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations by Dr. Daniel J. Duffy, and Calculus and Statistics from NetMath
3) Is it worth taking the CFA level 1/2 exams, and how does it affect candidacy for the MS application?
4) Any general advice to prepare for the MS application

Please note that I'm looking at a time frame of approx 1.5 for preparations.
Thanks in advance, and I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Last edited:
I am the originatior of 2). For MFE students. Parts A,B,F and G and doing exercises are good for Certificate. I personally coach students and this is the only course that also does ODE/PDE for fiinance. I even wrote a book as support (which students receive :))

It is a hands-on course.

Hi all,

I will be graduating with a B.Tech. and M.Tech. Dual Degree in Computer Science and Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology in a couple of months. I've accepted the role of Software Developer in a tech(read non-finance) company. I've been looking into Quantitative finance for the past few months, and I'm seriously considering a Financial Engineering/Computational Finance master's program. My current goal is the MS Computational Finance program at Carnegie Mellon University for 2024. I've got a pretty decent grasp of programming and have done the following math courses during my UG
- Series and Matrices

1) What online courses would you recommend to fill in the further pre-requisites?
2) Opinions on Datasim course: Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations by Dr. Daniel J. Duffy, and Calculus and Statistics from NetMath
3) Is it worth taking the CFA level 1/2 exams, and how does it affect candidacy for the MS application?

- QuantNet C++ (both levels)
- Not required for Financial Engineering . First term mandatory courses in all top schools cover it
- Not a game changer in "pure quant" jobs
4) Any general advice to prepare for the MS application (Any of the following for SOP/Interview)
- Do a Quant finance project (QuantNet C++ course helps)
- Work with multiple trading strategies , report your Sharpe (doesn't have to be real money)
- Work with different ML algorithms (if you like ML) , share results/github code

- QuantNet C++ (both levels)
- Not required for Financial Engineering . First term mandatory courses in all top schools cover it
- Not a game changer in "pure quant" jobs
4) Any general advice to prepare for the MS application (Any of the following for SOP/Interview)
- Do a Quant finance project (QuantNet C++ course helps)
- Work with multiple trading strategies , report your Sharpe (doesn't have to be real money)
- Work with different ML algorithms (if you like ML) , share results/github code
Thanks for the reply.
- I'm decent at C++, do you recommend the QuantNet course for learning C++ or the fin model aspects of it?
- Do you know of any avenues where you can learn/contribute towards quant finance projects, or were you recommending a personal project?

Thanks for the reply.
- I'm decent at C++, do you recommend the QuantNet course for learning C++ or the fin model aspects of it?
- Do you know of any avenues where you can learn/contribute towards quant finance projects, or were you recommending a personal project?
Quantnet C++ courses will introduce you to advanced C++ and modern design techniques. If you know some C++11 from a textbook/undergrad class and have never worked on a project , I would highly recommend it. You can also look at the Python Course , if you want to apply for Quant Analytics/Research profiles for which C++ is not requirement .

If you have already worked in the industry on some advanced statistical modeling project , you can use that experience . Other wise I recommend finding out exactly what part of the industry you want to join , BuySide or SellSide and then figure out the team you want to work with. Finally, you can pick a relevant topic and try to build your own project , like Stochastic Volatility, Also trading models , Machine learning for Option pricing etc

Hi all,

- Series and Matrices

Hi @aghinsa!

I am considering pursuing a similar path, I wanted to reach out and seek your insights and advice. I tried to start a conversation with you on this platform but I couldn't. Is there any other platform (LinkedIn or mail) where I can connect with you?

Thanks!

Hi @aghinsa!

I am considering pursuing a similar path, I wanted to reach out and seek your insights and advice. I tried to start a conversation with you on this platform but I couldn't. Is there any other platform (LinkedIn or mail) where I can connect with you?

Thanks!
You should be able to send him a private convo. Click on his username and Start Conversation.

You should be able to send him a private convo. Click on his username and Start Conversation.
Thanks for the help. Earlier, I was including this post's link in the private convo due to which it was showing spam and I wasn't able to start the conversation. I removed the link and it worked.

I am the originatior of 2). For MFE students. Parts A,B,F and G and doing exercises are good for Certificate. I personally coach students and this is the only course that also does ODE/PDE for fiinance. I even wrote a book as support (which students receive :))

It is a hands-on course.

Hi,
Does your course cover Stochastic Differential equations aswell For beginners who is planning to enter a MFE program

Back