• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Seeking Guidance for Quant Trader Profile

Hello Everyone
I am Devesh from India pursuing my B.E in Mechanical Engineering from India's top 10 college but it is not IIT. I am in final year and now I am prepareing for Quant Trading Profile. I have 7 to 8 months until i graduate and i just have started learning probability from youtube taught by MIT professor and his name is John Tsitsiklis and after that i will learn Topics in Mathematics with application in finance also from MIT.

1. I know a very basic of python and C++. So does it will require me to learn Data Strucutures and Algorithm?
2. What else topics should i need to learn in maths or these topics are sufficient?
3. Should i watch Fundamental of Statistics taught by Phillipe Rigillet or the topic required for quant role will be covered in the topics in mathematics with application of finance?
3. the brainteasers in heard on the street and in the green book are quite hard. How to approach these problems in these book are there any process?
4. do i have to learn stochastic calculus?
5. Does learning these topics and solving brainteaser problem can make me capable for trader profile in hedge fund?
6. i have 3 internships but they all are in core domain. so does i need an internship in finance sector?
7. Can i prepare these topics in 5 months or i need more time? Or I should go for higher studies?
8. Does i need to learn machine learning?

Please Help because i am really confuse.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone
I am Devesh from India pursuing my B.E in Mechanical Engineering from India's top 10 college but it is not IIT. I am in final year and now I am prepareing for Quant Trading Profile. I have 7 to 8 months until i graduate and i just have started learning probability from youtube taught by MIT professor and his name is John Tsitsiklis and after that i will learn Topics in Mathematics with application in finance also from MIT.

1. I know a very basic of python and C++. So does it will require me to learn Data Strucutures and Algorithm?
2. What else topics should i need to learn in maths or these topics are sufficient?
3. Should i watch Fundamental of Statistics taught by Phillipe Rigillet or the topic required for quant role will be covered in the topics in mathematics with application of finance?
3. the brainteasers in heard on the street and in the green book are quite hard. How to approach these problems in these book are there any process?
4. do i have to learn stochastic calculus?
5. Does learning these topics and solving brainteaser problem can make me capable for trader profile in hedge fund?
6. i have 3 internships but they all are in core domain. so does i need an internship in finance sector?
7. Can i prepare these topics in 5 months or i need more time? Or I should go for higher studies?
8. Does i need to learn machine learning?

Please Help because i am really confuse.

First off, I highly reckon, you go through this thread by @Igna : I'm a senior buy side quant researcher. AMA.

1. Algorithmic design skills are important. One way to hone them would be participating in coding competitions e.g. Div 2/Div 3 contests on CodeForces. Not only are these skills valuable (day-to-day) as a working quant, they could also help you land a foot in the door for quant interviews.
2. Have a very good handle on Multivariable calculus, linear algebra, probability/statistics at the very least.
3a. Try to use lecture notes, solve exercise problems, it indicates you have mastered the content.
3b. Keep practicing, and solving puzzle books.
6. You should try and apply for some strats/software roles at BB/prop-funds in India, to get finance experience. It's certainly helpful.
7. Consider pursuing an MFE. It's the shortest and an optimal path to becoming a buy-side/sell-side researcher.
8. ML is a part of the toolbox used by many buy-side firms.

First off, I highly reckon, you go through this thread by @Igna : I'm a senior buy side quant researcher. AMA.

1. Algorithmic design skills are important. One way to hone them would be participating in coding competitions e.g. Div 2/Div 3 contests on CodeForces. Not only are these skills valuable (day-to-day) as a working quant, they could also help you land a foot in the door for quant interviews.
2. Have a very good handle on Multivariable calculus, linear algebra, probability/statistics at the very least.
3a. Try to use lecture notes, solve exercise problems, it indicates you have mastered the content.
3b. Keep practicing, and solving puzzle books.
6. You should try and apply for some strats/software roles at BB/prop-funds in India, to get finance experience. It's certainly helpful.
7. Consider pursuing an MFE. It's the shortest and an optimal path to becoming a buy-side/sell-side researcher.
8. ML is a part of the toolbox used by many buy-side firms.
Thanks for the response
Right now as i am learning Probability after that should i start learning python or C++. Which will be more beneficial?
Like when i solve Green book, first i read the question and then i try to solve by myself if i am not able to solve myself then i see the solution. But sometimes solution seems difficult and i cannot understand it properly. So is there any other approach to solve this?
Can u tell me specific topics that should i focus in statistics?
I messaged one connection on linkedin and he texted me that go make an account on worldquant brain and try to make alpha by learning the tutorial. Should i do this or not. It will help in my resume or not?
I have seen many quant trading job profile in many hft they ony askt skills in maths and they say if u have a knowledge of Python or R, C++ it will be a plus. So what should i do.
What is Prop Firm?
Is 5 to 6 months are enough or i need more time to prepare.
please guide me

Back