• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Seeking some master's thesis topics, as as a math majors

I'm searching some master's thesis topics related to quantitative finance, as a math major's student.

I have had a glance at what a master's student in quantitative finance learn, there are many. So I would like to have someone suggest me some possible master's thesis topic based on the courses I have taken so far, and by giving some reference books, point out the additional knowledge that I need, to be able to start to do research.

Because I have to contact a master's thesis advisor by next February at the latest, my time to learn the essential tools/knowledges is very limited. I want to show the advisor that I'm very serious & motivate for the PhD.

Thanks in advance !

For the background :

I'm currently a second-year master's student in probability theory, I also did a math major in college. My ideal goal is to do research in math as a teacher-researcher in a university, and because I want to see that the math I learned can be applied, I want to be able to find/solve math problems from the applied field (quantitative finance). For this transition, I don't want to spend another year or two completing another master's degree, I plan to write a master's thesis next semester then find a PhD.

Courses taken in the 1st year of master : differential geometry, Lie groups & Lie algebras, algebraic topology, Riemann surface, functional analysis, Galois theory, statistics
Courses taken in the this semester : stochastic calculus, Markov process, statistical learning, ergodic theory.
I also learned numerical probability, Python, OCaml, Algorithms, data structures in college.

The type of math I like is more analysis, like stochastic calculus and functional analysis. I don't code regularly.

Last edited:
easy topic: pairs trading and everything related to it
hard topic: how to select the optimal distance from mid price when placing orders as a market maker

Here is a paper that came out of my master’s thesis work for an MA in mathematics: Hausdorff and Fourier dimension of graph of continuous additive processes . Feel free to DM me and I can send you my thesis version.

The topic is at the intersection of geometric measure theory/fractal geometry and probability. Topics like the one listed above are far too applied for a masters thesis in (pure) mathematics. You may also find something dealing with Malliavin calculus to be interesting.

Back