• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Shaft

radosr

Baruch MFE Faculty
First, an interview classic to warm up: Two infinite cylindrical shafts of radius 1 intersect in 3-space so that their axes of symmetry intersect (at a point) at a right angle. What is the volume of the intersection of shafts?

Now, a question that was recently asked is the same question as above, except that we have three cylindrical shafts instead (you can visualize this by imagining 3 shafts, whose axes of symmetry are the x-, y-, and z-axis, respectively).

For the two-shaft case, the region of intersection is comprised of 4 congruent pieces that look somewhat like slices of an orange. Their total volume is (4\int_{-1}^1\frac{\sqrt{2(1-x^2)}^2}{2}dx=\frac{16}{3}\approx 5.333). (The flat surfaces of the orange slices are each half the ellipse (x^2+\frac{y^2}{2}=1).)

For the three-shaft case, the third cylinder shaves off a volume equal to (4\int_{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}^1 4\sqrt{1-x^2}(x-\sqrt{1-x^2})dx=8\sqrt{2}-\frac{32}{3}) from the 4 orange slices in the previous case, so the answer is (16-8\sqrt{2}\approx 4.686). (This is tougher to visualize, so I won't explain, but if someone insists I might try.)

Warm up: it's the volume of a cylindar of radius 1 and height 1 = π * 1^2 *2 = 2π

For the question with three shafts, the three shafts limit the intersection to a sphere or radius 1. Volume is 4/3 * π * 1 = 4π/3

Warm up: it's the volume of a cylindar of radius 1 and height 1 = π * 1^2 *2 = 2π

For the question with three shafts, the three shafts limit the intersection to a sphere or radius 1. Volume is 4/3 * π * 1 = 4π/3
Actually, I think my first answer is wrong (visually it is). But I am pretty sure the second one is a sphere.

Actually, I think my first answer is wrong (visually it is). But I am pretty sure the second one is a sphere.

There's no way to get a sphere because cylinders have straight geodesics in a certain direction whereas spheres have circular ones in all directions.

Back