• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Shift Career from Python Quant to C++ Quant

I graduated from a MFE program and started my career at a role responsible Excel based risk modeling. Three years later, I got a quant analyst role where I maintain model code in Python, and have been in this role for slightly over one year. I'm currently considering my next move to a front desk quant role, and realize that almost all the front desk quant roles require experience in C++. How hard would such a move be? What interview preparations should be done in advance?

Hey Alex,
Very glad to see your first post here. Welcome back.
Your observation is similar to everything I heard about C++ skill is high in demand now.
@Pavlos Sakoglou can give some pointers as he utilized his C++ skills into his current role.
I'm actually reaching out to a few technical recruiters to give us some color on specific skills for various quant roles and how to go about getting those roles.
We have a lot of people complete our C++ courses and some with distinction which I may refer them to the technical recruiters.

Knowing a couple of languages is a good idea.

The Interoperable World of the Big Three

C++, Python, C#

2023-2-5

Daniel J. Duffy

Quick Note, more later.

Breaking News, Pure Python Mode etc. etc., a game changer

Welcome to Cython’s Documentation — Cython 3.0.0b1 documentation ... /pure.html

With my co-author Harold Kasperink we will have chapters on

Call C++ from Python and vice versa

Call C# from Python and vice versa

Call C# from native C++ and vice versa

(WRITE ONCE USE MANY TIMES. Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.)

Modern Multiparadigm Software Architectures and Design Patterns

with Examples and Applications in C++, C# and Python Volume I

Datasim Press 2023

Daniel J. Duffy and Harold Kasperink

www.datasim.nl

Online Courses

Moving to a front-office role is hard. They are the most in demand roles on Wall Street. You will need to pass difficult math/tech interviews. There's no end of interview information on the web. C++ and Python very common in such roles, it varies firm by firm the emphasis on each. Longer term I'd expect more emphasis on Python, but C++ has shown staying power.

Back