• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I be learning C++ or reading on the basics of mathematical finance first?

Background:
I'm a uni student living in Australia that is studying physics. Because I flunked my first year (depression and anxiety),although this semester I did a lot better because my mental condition is fine now. My GPA will never be stellar like other graduates, so to get accepted into master's programs I am trying to do a lot more grunt work and self learning during uni and uni breaks. My C++ technical skills are not the best, but they're getting better and I like learning.

Right now as uni break is coming up, should I be trying to refine my C++ skills and doing projects to show my expertise when I graduate (Nov 2020). Or should be doing as much readings and problems from mathematical finance books. E.g. The concepts and practice of mathematical finance by Mark Joshi and Stochastic Calculus for Finance by Steven E Shreve (other suggestions are welcome).

I'm sure I should be doing both by the time I have graduated, but what is more important that I should be doing this uni break?

I can see that some MFE programs in the US make reference to QN's C++ certificate, but does it get similar recognition from the Australian Institutes? E.g. Monash University, University of Technology Sydney or UNSW?
For these questions the best person to answer is Andy

IMO these Australian universities could benefit from bringing C++ on board.

@Andy Nguyen
@APalley

Last edited:
Back