• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I do an MSc in Statistics? (Profile Evaluation)

I did Commerce with Math in my high school (Accountancy, Math, Business Studies, Micro and Macro Economics)

B.Sc in Computer Science with Data Analytics ( NAAC A accredited, top 20 in NIRF ranking in India) - Recent grad
Undergrad Coursework:
Statistics and Probability, Applied Statistics, Optimization techniques, Graph Theory, Linear algebra, Matrix Algebra, Predictive Analytics
Python, R, C++, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Parallel Computing, Data Mining.
GPA 8.8/10, I have perfect scores in Statistics and Probability, Optimization Techniques
I realized my courses didn't have calculus so used MIT OCW to learn Single Variable Calculus and Stochastic Processes.

I have won a couple of international hackathons in Quantum Computing and Fintech ( hosted by Stanford & Yale, FIU, UCBerkeley, NYU AbuDhabi, McMaster)
Have an internship in Portfolio Optimisation using QC.

Working as a full-time (remote) Dev and ML engineer at a Startup in California. The area of work is mostly around Parallelization, NLP, Backend, and Query Optimisation.
Final Year Project: Stock screener using fundamental analysis. I am also soon starting as an intern at a local investment analytics firm as an analyst
I manage a small portfolio for my family members and I found it quite interesting, Portfolio management is something I want to do in a long term.

I am planning to Do an MS in Quantitative Finance or Computational Finance in the US.
Looking at the other profiles I see that my UG coursework lacks math, so should I do an MSc in Statistics in India before I go for MS?
Please advice.

Bruh I am too from India but doing masters twice don't you think it's waste of time and money? I am not that qualified to answer but still dont you think so? Also MFE costs goes stonks

Bruh I am too from India but doing masters twice don't you think it's waste of time and money? I am not that qualified to answer but still dont you think so? Also MFE costs goes stonks
Ms in India is comparatively cheap,
I graduated this year from my three-year program, I want to learn more and need more time in academics
I am thinking about preparing for ISI or IITK's Msc Stats. I am working on my US fall 2023 atm, taking GRE in a few days expecting 165+in Quant.
I am a little scared I might not get into good programs cause of my UG and lack of calculus on my transcript.
I started working while I was in college so have saved up well for college

Ms in India is comparatively cheap,
I graduated this year from my three-year program, I want to learn more and need more time in academics
I am thinking about preparing for ISI or IITK's Msc Stats. I am working on my US fall 2023 atm, taking GRE in a few days expecting 165+in Quant.
I am a little scared I might not get into good programs cause of my UG and lack of calculus on my transcript.
I started working while I was in college so have saved up well for college
Ohh, ISI has pretty good program and it's well structured (I have a connection on linkedin who's now at a top prop shop straight out of ISI)
Also wait for @Sudhansh Dua to reply he can guide you the best!
All the best man would like to connect with you on Linkedin

Ohh, ISI has pretty good program and it's well structured (I have a connection on linkedin who's now at a top prop shop straight out of ISI)
Also wait for @Sudhansh Dua to reply he can guide you the best!
All the best man would like to connect with you on Linkedin
Thanks a lot.
I got a lot of mixed replies so hence thought of asking here for guidance/insights.
Would love to connect with you on LinkedIn

I did Commerce with Math in my high school (Accountancy, Math, Business Studies, Micro and Macro Economics)

B.Sc in Computer Science with Data Analytics ( NAAC A accredited, top 20 in NIRF ranking in India) - Recent grad
Undergrad Coursework:
Statistics and Probability, Applied Statistics, Optimization techniques, Graph Theory, Linear algebra, Matrix Algebra, Predictive Analytics
Python, R, C++, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Parallel Computing, Data Mining.
GPA 8.8/10, I have perfect scores in Statistics and Probability, Optimization Techniques
I realized my courses didn't have calculus so used MIT OCW to learn Single Variable Calculus and Stochastic Processes.

I have won a couple of international hackathons in Quantum Computing and Fintech ( hosted by Stanford & Yale, FIU, UCBerkeley, NYU AbuDhabi, McMaster)
Have an internship in Portfolio Optimisation using QC.

Working as a full-time (remote) Dev and ML engineer at a Startup in California. The area of work is mostly around Parallelization, NLP, Backend, and Query Optimisation.
Final Year Project: Stock screener using fundamental analysis. I am also soon starting as an intern at a local investment analytics firm as an analyst
I manage a small portfolio for my family members and I found it quite interesting, Portfolio management is something I want to do in a long term.

I am planning to Do an MS in Quantitative Finance or Computational Finance in the US.
Looking at the other profiles I see that my UG coursework lacks math, so should I do an MSc in Statistics in India before I go for MS?
Please advice.
No need for another masters you can apply.

The pre-requisites are just to scare the commerce students away. You have done good work and have good grades. Don’t do a masters just to get the pre-requisites done.

Apply and get feedback from the university if they reject you, which I don’t think should happen if the interview goes well.

You can do the UCB math course btw, or the one Baruch offers, it’ll cover the Math pre-requisites for any university since these two are on the top in the rankings.

Try Quant >=168 (GRE) or >= 50 (GMAT)
Prepare well for the application, talk to alumni of your target school, sharpen your profile and then apply.

Good luck!!!
:)

No need for another masters you can apply.

The pre-requisites are just to scare the commerce students away. You have done good work and have good grades. Don’t do a masters just to get the pre-requisites done.

Apply and get feedback from the university if they reject you, which I don’t think should happen if the interview goes well.

You can do the UCB math course btw, or the one Baruch offers, it’ll cover the Math pre-requisites for any university since these two are on the top in the rankings.

Try Quant >=168 (GRE) or >= 50 (GMAT)
Prepare well for the application, talk to alumni of your target school, sharpen your profile and then apply.

Good luck!!!
:)
Thanks a lot, currently I am getting 168 on mock and have 2 more weeks until my gre, so hopeful for 168+
Is the UCB Math or Baruch available online? What do I search for ?
I am currently in India
Is this the one you were talking about ?

I think the one for calculus at baruch is not available atm.
Also Should I just take Calculus 1 or jump ahead to Calculus 2? I had Calculus in my highschool and I have good understanding of it

Last edited:
You can do the Berkeley math pre-program in that case the registration will open soon for that.

I’ll suggest starting from the scratch. Limits Derivatives continuity, and then Integration. Prepare well and then register for their pre-program.

So Ideally I will take up the math pre-program this year and apply for MFE programs next fall.
I am aiming for Columbia, Baruch, NYU.
I think I cannot apply to Berkeley wth my 3 years undegrad
I guess the program has not been updated MFE Preparation | Master of Financial Engineering | Berkeley Haas
You can do the Berkeley math pre-program in that case the registration will open soon for that.

I’ll suggest starting from the scratch. Limits Derivatives continuity, and then Integration. Prepare well and then register for their pre-program.
I agree it makes sense better to start from scratch.

Last edited:
Baruch’s Advanced Calculus pre-program will start soon. Please check that out.
Alright Seems that the seminars will be offered from October - March, Thanks for sharing.
One more small question, I was planning to apply for fall 24 but since This program goes on till March should I plan to go for fall 25 or apply and let them know I would be taking the pre mfe program ?

Back