• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I go for Quantitative Finance

Hi guys,

I am an international student. and have just started the master program is Applied Mathematics. Of course, I want to further my study in one specific fields. Of all possible options, I have narrowed to choices: Quantitative Finance,, MFE and Computer Science. Could you guy give me some advices based on what I have follow:

- My current school is not ranked highly.
- I prefer the major that give me a better chance in finding a job here, USA, considering that I am an international student wanting to have green card here. Jobs in other developed countries should be OK.
- I am not so excellent in research
- As far as I know the demand for quantitative finance jobs in my country, which is Viet Nam, is as low as zero.

I also want to ask you guys is it true that the graduated student not from the top tier quant programs stand a low chance to find a job.

If you need any other information about me, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance so much.

Please clarify : "narrowed to choices: Quantitative Finance, MFE and computer Science" What according to you are the differences between Quantitative Finance and MFE?

The answers to your questions can be answered by thinking about the below:

what kind of job are you looking for after you graduate? programming? trading? financial analytics? buidling mathematical models? what would you be really happy doing?

Also, how good a programmer you consider yourself to be? What is your programming background/undergraduate major?

Thanks for responding Subramaniam.

- It is highly likely that there is no way for me to come back Viet Nam, my country, since there is no demand for quant there.

I like working finance field. I am pretty good at VBA, and VB. I am going to read about C# and C++ (Which one do you think is better for a quant?) in coming months.

My undergrad degree is Civil Engineering.

Build on what you have

As you may know, there are many different jobs that are possible for an applied mathematician, especially one with an engineering background. I would recommend an MFE program for those with a strong interest in finance as demonstrated by extensive reading, active trading on one's own account, or professional experience. Check out this US Government publication for labor and employment statistics http://www.bls.gov/OCO/
If your primary goal is finding a job in the US, you will have a better chance in those areas that employ the largest number of people. You also need to consider where you want to settle in the US. America is a big and diverse country, and you may be happier in some states, and less so in others. Each type of job will have its own geographical distribution.

Back