• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I invest in a CQF certification before joining a MFE program ?

Hi All,

I am contemplating on taking up the CQF certification. I have already applied for MFE programs for Fall 2020, and as of now looking at joining Uchicago's MSFM program.
Little bit of background: I'm Computer Science undergraduate and working in S/W development for 2 years. I'm comfortable with coding, but it's been few years since i've done PDE,ODE, Linear Algebra. I'm also confident of financial theory, have cleared the CFA level 1, and currently a candidate for level 2. (but no finance/quant work ex)
I'm contemplating if i should take the CQF course, since I reside in India, the program cost is 7000 USD. I could do online courses to cover up my weaker areas, but i feel the organised structure of the course and its practical assignments will help me better. Plus since I no background in quant, it will help me join the program better prepared.
The only concern I have is, will the certification prove any additional value, considering I'm doing a MSFM/ MFE degree. Plus is it worth the cost ? (although its cheaper here compared to the rest of the world)

Any views will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

never heard cqf having much weight. Tons of free resources online like MIT opencourseware and youtube. They put out their assignments, midterms, finals and solutions. Gilbert Strang is highly rated by students for linear algebra

never heard cqf having much weight. Tons of free resources online like MIT opencourseware and youtube. They put out their assignments, midterms, finals and solutions. Gilbert Strang is highly rated by students for linear algebra
Oh is it ? I thought it had some value at-least in the quant domain.
Yeah, i know there are plenty of sources online. But thought the opportunity to complete a certification as well, might give an added boost while searching for jobs.

Oh is it ? I thought it had some value at-least in the quant domain.
Yeah, i know there are plenty of sources online. But thought the opportunity to complete a certification as well, might give an added boost while searching for jobs.

personally don't think its worth it. Never heard anyone talk about this cqf or seen it on a linkedin profile. your mfe/mfm degree will carry more weight than the cqf and cfa together. i would just focus on knowing the foundations very well: probabiltiy, linear algebra, and ode

Back