• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I retake GRE because of a relatively low quant score?

So some of the MFE/math Fin programs I apply to do require GRE scores.

I just took my test today and got Q165 V163. The verbal score is somewhat in line with with my mock test results. But my quant score is a disappointment as I expected to score similarly to what I got in the 3 timed mock tests I did, around 168~169.

I don't know if it's my anxiety affecting my performance, but I did run out of time in the the 2nd section of the test. I got bogged down by 2~3 questions that didn't seem as straight forward as those in the mock tests. And I spent too much time figuring out why the answer choices did not include my hand-calculated answers lol.

In any case, is there any merit in retaking the GRE? Since I see that most of you guys are applying to MFE with scores in the 168-170 range. If so, would you have any suggestions as to how I may improve my score?

Thanks!

Definitely. 165 is too low. I mean, why would you risk failing the shortlist of your dream program just because of this. Practise with the 5 lb book for quant problems. Take a lot of mock tests online. Easy enough to get 168 if you practise.

Definitely. 165 is too low. I mean, why would you risk failing the shortlist of your dream program just because of this. Practise with the 5 lb book for quant problems. Take a lot of mock tests online. Easy enough to get 168 if you practise.
thanks for the suggestion!

the thing is, i did more than half of the questions in 5lb already (the latter halves of each section, which are supposed to be harder.)

For some reason, I feel that the questions on the real GRE arent as straight forward as those in the 5lb.

If you have to report GRE score because some programs require it, then by all means, retake and get the highest score. Top programs expect 168-170.
If none of the programs you are applying to requires GRE, spend time on other things.
Take C++, do the interview books, review your basic options theory, work on the essays, etc.
Thanks Andy! The score is indeed lower than I expected....would you have any advice on how to improve my score?

Back