• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Skill sets and proficiency

I'm wondering, what skills a person interested in FE needs and how proficient he/she has to be?

One particular skill I'm thinking of is programming. After going through an MFE program, will I be good enough? I always look at the CS and ECE guys doing some hardcore programming and I feel that I will never be able to be an excellent programmer.

I think most FE programs require some knowledge of C/C++/Java prior to starting--they don't necessarily teach it. What they teach is how to apply those programming skills in terms of pricing derivatives, etc.

From what I've seen people don't graduate from FE programs as "developers" with hard-core coding skills, unless they had that experience going into it. If you are looking to improve your developing skills within the context of an FE program, look to see if you can use some electives towards more advanced programming classes. Or, if you're not confident in your programming skills to begin with, take a few pre-requisites on your own. There are a lot of these types of classes offered online, by local community colleges, etc.

Back