• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Slope of Non-Linear Curve

Hello,

I am looking out for calculating Slope of Curve for non linear time series using Excel. In general linear form we can easily do this using SLOPE() function but when it's non-linear how do we can calculate tangent point and slope at that point ?

Thanks in Advance.

Hello,

I am looking out for calculating Slope of Curve for non linear time series using Excel. In general linear form we can easily do this using SLOPE() function but when it's non-linear how do we can calculate tangent point and slope at that point ?

Thanks in Advance.

Don't think there's anything set up by Excel for you to use. I think you'll just have to come up with a numerical method to approximate the slope at any given point.

\(\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}\)? Am I missing something?

yeah basically except i would use an averaging (or weighted averaging) of the rate of change from the point behind the point in question to the point, and that from the point in question to the point after it

Back