• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Some new rules (International Students)

This part of the third bullet concerns me: "These schools must certify to SEVP, through the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” certifying that the program is not entirely online, that the student is not taking an entirely online course load this semester, and that the student is taking the minimum number of online classes required to make normal progress in their degree program."

I've gotten my I-20 from a few months ago, I wonder if this means I'll have to request a new one. There's the SEVIS fee I've paid too, would changing I-20 affect that?

If students can't stay in the US because of online courses they are ineligible to work next summer, correct? Doesn't this change ruin most programs?

If students can't stay in the US because of online courses they are ineligible to work next summer, correct? Doesn't this change ruin most programs?
I'd assume so. CPT and OPT depend on having a valid f-1 visa. What SEVP announced was that taking online courses only would not give you a legal status to enter the US, which means no I-20 and certainly no CPT, OPT, unless they offer some special exemptions later, which I doubt. I should say tho this has been the rule regarding online courses and f-1 status, but given how the epidemic is developing and that this puts pressure on universities to "re-open" in the fall, one can't help wondering if this is politically motivated.

I'd assume so. CPT and OPT depend on having a valid f-1 visa. What SEVP announced was that taking online courses only would not give you a legal status to enter the US, which means no I-20 and certainly no CPT, OPT, unless they offer some special exemptions later, which I doubt. I should say tho this has been the rule regarding online courses and f-1 status, but given how the epidemic is developing and that this puts pressure on universities to "re-open" in the fall, one can't help wondering if this is politically motivated.
If I understand this correctly, it'd put a lot of existing students who are currently in the US in a pretty tough spot. They may have to leave the country if the university decides to go full online, which is quite unreasonable, in my opinion. It would in turn put pressure on the universities to reopen, as you've said, to let these students remain in the country.

it's this administration's way to force schools to open: (i) open and get covid, or (ii) not open but lose revenues from international students

Absolutely. My question is: Why would any foreign student in his or her right mind opt for a US program? It's not even as if a job is assured at the end of the program (assuming the visa hurdle is cleared). As I've said before, the US university system is not going to go back to the pre-Covid days. Neither is the job market. Without having to resort to hyperbole, the country is literally imploding.

As I've said before, the US university system is not going to go back to the pre-Covid days. Neither is the job market. Without having to resort to hyperbole, the country is literally imploding.
this is a tremendous statement, but real

Are you sure I-20 will need to be re-issued? Did ISSO confirm that?
Based on a previous email and this link: Impact of ICE/SEVP Fall 2020 Announcement of New Regulations For Current Students In F-1 Status | ISSO, I think we'll need a new I-20.

Under the "Hybrid" section from the link above: "These schools must certify to SEVP, through the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” that the program is not entirely online", and a previous email from Columbia ISSO said "We are working with schools and departments to confirm fall program structures and will be in touch with you regarding the next steps on how to request a new I-20."

The school I am attending has confirmed every single I-20 is void and that they have to be reissued with the new Hybrid/Online question answered
I see. Thanks for letting me know. My school is yet to communicate if the form should be re-issued.

I see. Thanks for letting me know. My school has yet to communicate if the form should be re-issued.
I think the lawsuits that Harvard/Princeton has started intend to have the decision reversed? So hopefully that happens

Certainly good news for new students (probably we can skip the hassle of requesting a new I-20?) and especially for existing foreign students who are already in the US.

Certainly good news for new students (probably we can skip the hassle of requesting a new I-20?) and especially for existing foreign students who are already in the US.
Even more than just not requesting new I-20s it reduces any stress/worry about being deported mid semester if classes have to go back online

Even more than just not requesting new I-20s it reduces any stress/worry about being deported mid semester if classes have to go back online
Yes most certainly, which is why I said especially. Really relieved that this got turned around very quickly.

Back